Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received A Letter From My Psychiatrist

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

I am connected for 50% MDD, 10% tinnitus and 0%hearinf loss. I have applied for 100% Unemployability and have been turned down. I sent in a NOD and have not received an answer. Will this letter from my Psychiatrist help me? How should I handle this, wait for an answer or mail it in now?

Mr. ******** has been under my care for long history of mood disorder and has been complaint with his treatment. He has been suffering from depression and anxiety in addition to his physical condition related to chronic back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and hypertension. He seems to be unable to hold any gainful employment.

Signed, Staff Psychiatrist

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If any of the conditions the doctor mentions are not service connected the VA is likely to latch onto them to blame your IU on a NSC condition. They did that with me the first time around even though I was on SSDI for the SC condition. My doctor mentioned the fact I had chronic pain syndrome which was not SC at the time. The VA disregarded all other evidence and denied IU saying it was all due to the chronic pain. They are always looking for some loophole to deny IU or higher rating. They just love using your own medical evidence against you.

The VA, like most government agencies, is all about detail and format. It is not enough to get an IMO that states you are unemployable or X amount disabled; you need your psych to write up a formal evaluation that uses VA terminology and VA formatting. It should include a GAF (all 5 axis) and terms like "more likely than not" and other VA catch phrases.

In the end, it's hard for the VA to argue their own language when it's used against them:-)

• HadIt.com Elder

my shrink wrote a statement that

"Mr XXXXXX has a case of chronic PTSD, his GAF has been 30-35 for the past three years, the severity of his symptoms and the fact that he has been coping with them for over 30 years makes it highly unlikely that he will ever improve and I consider him to be totally and permanently disabled, regardliess of whatever medical issues he has, he is considered to be totally disabled by his service connected PTSD."

that took the other issues out of play and they had to rule just on the PTSD first they gave me 50% I filed a NOD and a year later they gave me the 100% P&T there is nothing easy about getting the proper rating out of the VAROs.

Hi,

I think that letter will be a great help!

I don't know if you have tried this or not, but I think it helped in my husband's case: Have friends and family members write letters stating how your disabilities have been increasingly disabling and how it has affected you through the years from their observations. Also, I wrote what I call a "wife's letter" detailing the day to day living ordeals and changes that my family as well as my husband have had to deal with because of his service connected disabilities.

Best of luck, you deserve the best...you paid a dear price!

Gwen

Billyboy Jphn is right- the doc has to make a nexus statement such as 'the veteran's service connected MDD has rendered him unemployable.'

And then the doc should give a medical rationale such as-

his MDD has caused him inability to function socially, and vocationally, etc-

He has to make sure he is opining on the SC MDD only and that this is the condition that renders you unemployable- also the meds you take for the MDD might also cause you to be unemployable- if they have strong side affects.

The decision said exactly what you need- if this a non-VA doctor (actually they should use this format too ) see my topic Getting an Independent Medical Opinion that shows what a IMO should contain.