Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Charmpva

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

If something happens to my husband before the 10yr. rule or non sc, would I get to keep CHAMPVA or would it terminate? We're thinking of dropping the medical insurance that we have on me and keeping it just on him.

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

CHAMPVA is awarded to dependents of 100% P & T veterans-

Also to surviving spouses of 100% P & T veterans -

If the VA causes a vets death -CHAMPVA doesnt cover the spouse or dependents.

I dont get CHAMPVA under my 1151 DIC-I get it under the 100 P & T regs-

That isnt fair to spouses and children of vets the VA malpractices on- but that is the reg as it stands.

CHAMPVA for Life is when a spouse turns 65 and they MUST apply for and receive Medicare also-then they are granted CHAMPVA for Life.

The CHAMPVA web site has more info.

VA does not approve CHAMPA apps- CHAMPVA does that itself.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife has ChampVA and I cover her under BC/BS. I think the most potentially serious financial problem a person can have is a long stay in a hospital. This is why I would be very careful about dropping any health insurance I have even if their is some duplication. Even when my wife gets medicare I dont' think I will drop the BC/BS. A couple of weeks in intensive care and you can rack up 100,000 bucks in bills. I have not been all that crazy about dealing with ChampVA so far. I find them hard to talk to and more concerned with saving money than paying bills. They are good at quoting regs as to why they won't pay for this or that. I figure that if I have maximum coverage someone is going to pay besides me. I have medicare and BC/BS and I use the VA. I pay for my coverage but I won't give it up to save a few bucks.

Thanks guys,

John,

We too have Federal BCBS, which we want to keep on my husband(he is the disabled vet), so he can keep his cardiologist on the outside. He has had this dr. since his heart attack 10 yrs ago, and he definitely does not want the VA messing with his heart. I was just thinking of dropping the BCBS on me and going with CHAMPVA, but I still don't know if I would be covered if something happened to him before the 10 yr. mark, like DIC. How does BCBS and CHAMPVA work together...is your co-pay waived from BCBS?

thanks,

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

Blue Cross and ChampVA don't work all that well together in my opinion. ChampVA is secondary and I have had a hell of a time getting them to pay. I think ChampVA works well with medicare from what I hear. My wife was in the hospital almost a year ago and ChampVA has still not paid some of the bills.

Thanks John,

It doesn't sound too good from the CHAMPVA. I just received my card a week or 2 ago, so I'm getting the info from 2 dr. visits that I had before receiving the card. I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks for your input..

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

]Mrs Pete is happy with her CHAMPVA for life. She has Medicare A&B and I wish I had the same thing. Its also comforting to me that she will keep it after I am gone.[/size

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.