Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Provided Cigarettes

Rate this question

emmak

Question

B) Yesterday I ask my husband if he remembered getting small packs of cigarettes in his individual meal packages. He said yes, in fact he told me also about sea rations where the GI's also got cartons of cigarettes. All brands were given out for free. I don't believe this is done today but I question how the VA can refuse payment because of smoking in the military. My husband is a Vietnam vet and he went into the Army at the age of 17. A non smoker until then spending nine years in the Army. He left the military a smoker and continued smoking another 6 years then quit. That was 35 years ago.

To me the fact that the GI's were given cigarettes for free with meals tells me that the military actually supported cigarette smoking. I sure would like to hear what all of you think about this I recentlly found out that my husband has scaring, plurel infusions on his lungs. AO,asbestos or cigarettes. I don't know. B)

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I appreciate all the replys. I just have a problem with the military providing cigarettes and alcohol or beer then refusing to take responsiblity for their actions. In the 50,s and 60's my brother-in-law would bring C rats home when he was on leave. I was a teenager and thought they were the neatest thing around.As I remember, the food was in cans rather than pouches. To this day my husband carries the little can opener in his wallet.

The little can opener is a P4, I have one on my truck key ring that I used in Nam in 1969. Another thing about the cigarettes in Nam, we had companies, I don't know if they were cig companies or grocery chains, but they sent huge boxes of cartons of cigs to our unit. I knew guys who made it through all the teen years and then through Basic and AIT (where cigs were very much promoted) and then in the stress of Nam started smoking. Yes, my opinion is the Army or whatever did not make you smoke, but they encouraged it and the boonies were enough to make one do anything almost to get some relaxation...I feel if one could prove they started smoking in service and have problems related, it should be s/c. Just the withdrawal of my quitting in 1973 should have been compensated!

as i stated in a previous post ( i think!) i am service connected for copd (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease effective the date of my military retirement.

this was based on my my retirement physical and the initial c&p exam

• In Memoriam

In the Navy it was a lot different. We paid 11 cents per pack off the coast of Viet Nam. You could buy them by the carton or case.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

I appreciate all the replys. I just have a problem with the military providing cigarettes and alcohol or beer then refusing to take responsiblity for their actions. In the 50,s and 60's my brother-in-law would bring C rats home when he was on leave. I was a teenager and thought they were the neatest thing around.As I remember, the food was in cans rather than pouches. To this day my husband carries the little can opener in his wallet.

Great subject EMMAK! The little can opener is called a P-38 I allso carrry one on my key chain for the past 30 years. Thank you!

recruiterrick,

What is documented as your nexus to SC your COPD ?

What year did you file your claim to SC your COPD ?

Thanks,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.