Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Records

Rate this question

mymissie

Question

Someone served on the USS Roosevelt,during first Gulf War.

Question! How do you,or where do you get a copy of there medical treatment recieved while in Gulf aboard Roosevelt. Tried St.Louis,but they have 0 records,except DD214-Medals. No records found of treatment during 4 years service. Period. Even called,whitout getting info I requested.

Where are these records stored? Any Address????

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Try their Home page-here it is:

http://www.tr.surfor.navy.mil/default.aspx

She might be in port- and if so there should be some access numbers on the site for the USS Roosevelt. I called a ship myself in order to help the local VA Chaplain square a sailor's AWOL problem away- the Navy is user friendly!

Also this vet should contact their specific unit on the net- do they recall the names of any corpsmen?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

PS forgot- I suggest asking for the CO and then work your way down- someone should know the best place to get these records.

It only took me a few minutes to contact the specific Navy person that the Chaplain then got in touch with to fix the problem.

BTW the VA Chaplain is a Commander in the Navy Reserves but I got this done faster then he could -he was surprised I called the ship itself. They all have phones.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

As I understand it the Navy has stopped sending detailed records to the National records center. They retain them somewhere. (I don't remember the command) In any event, since the ship is still active, They either have a copy, or know exactly who does.

The problems I ran into in my claims were caused by several things.

Loss of medical records by AF Hospital in Vietnam

Duplicate records were not maintained by Ship (No functional copy machine at the time.)

Ship was decommissioned and sold in the 1970's

Awards were not updated on DD214 when I went back to inactive duty. Many of the awards were for the time I was on the ship(s), and granted after I had transferred. The DD just shows Vietnam service with stars. Getting it corrected is another hassle. The Navy board is just interested in correcting "bad paper" to "good paper".

The existance of the awards is known, and available on the Navy award site. No details other than the dates and type of award are on the site. The details may be available in ship's logs, but the date of the award may not match the date of the reason/action receiving the award. This means that a relatively expensive copy (several months of the ships log pages) must be obtained.

The award than I have been able to obtain a copy of says that the award (NUC) was given for service under hostile fire and combat conditions. One, in particuliar, that I have not been able to find details of was a combat ribbon. CR(old abbrev.) or CAR(new abbrev.) The details are crucial if "combat veteran" status is to be conceeded by the VA.

All is not lost, since one of the awards, the sec nav citation (NUC) that I have a copy of, shows combat and hostile fire.

PS forgot- I suggest asking for the CO and then work your way down- someone should know the best place to get these records.

It only took me a few minutes to contact the specific Navy person that the Chaplain then got in touch with to fix the problem.

BTW the VA Chaplain is a Commander in the Navy Reserves but I got this done faster then he could -he was surprised I called the ship itself. They all have phones.

• HadIt.com Elder

Try NPRC New Orleans. Yhey may have the records there.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.