Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Called Me Today On Iu Claim

Rate this question

kris

Question

The regional office called me today and said they need stressor letters again with time lines. I am 50% going for IU. I am very confused on why I have to do this over again. I sent the VA my stressors in 2005.

I have been treated by the VA for well over two years for PTSD on almost a weekly basis and sometimes twice a week when I have classes.

My first CP exam I had the doctor dignosed me with panic attacks and major depression. Gafs 40 and 43. He did not give me PTSD. I got 50%

I had the same CP Doctor last month for a new exam and although I have been being seen for PTSD he again dignosed me with this time

Generalized anxiety Disorder Gaf 35

Panic attacks Gaf 38

Major Depression Gaf 38

\

I told the gentleman that called me that the VA already had stressor letters from 2005. He said they didn't. I told him they were in my C-file. He said no that they just got my service records the other day.

I know they had my Service Records already and the letters because I have a copy of my C-file, thanks to you guys. He said to write the letters again and that I could't send him copies of the letters from the first time around.

This is were I need your help. When I first wrote my stresser letters in 2005 I had never seen my service records. When I wrote one of my stressors I had to go by memory of this event that happened 30 years before and I was off by 6 months. Is this going to hurt me with my claim when I correct the time line.

Thank you Kris

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris:

I would call back and ask for a better explanation. There is something very fishy about this in my opinion. Once you are awarded PTSD you should not have to go back and jump through the hoops again.

Good Luck

Kris - does your vet rep have copies of the stressor letters to refresh what you wqrote? I agree this isnt fair-

dont worry about the time line-

as long as you have chance to correct it- it will help JSCURR verify it better now anyhow-

one of Rods stressors was when his commander was pronounced dead. Rod out him in the body bag and then onto a chopper.

27 years later we found out at the Wall that the guy didnt die in Vietnam.!

Rod was worried about the details he gave VA-and told the VA. But it didnt matter his other stuff was proven-the VA tried to help him find this vet -not for the claim but just to talk to him- funny the flashback never went away even though this vet survived (and could have died since from something else) he was catastrophically wounded in Vietnam.

This happened- a serviceman was pronounced dead at the scene but revived by the time they reached the base or a MASH.

It is a testament to the choppers and medivacs who risked their lives to get wounded GIs and Marines etc to the hospitals-during the Vietnam War-

most men in Nam were a few hours away-if that-from complete medical care at the base or even aboard Ship Hope etc.

And all of these medivac helo pilots and the nurses and docs have been presume exposed to the Agent Orange.(or at least they better be)

I know a vet who woke up in a morgue at Danang in a body bag.

He sure had no problem getting SC for PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris - I'm unclear what you're receiving 50% for. Is it PTSD???

pr

The regional office called me today and said they need stressor letters again with time lines. I am 50% going for IU. I am very confused on why I have to do this over again. I sent the VA my stressors in 2005.

I have been treated by the VA for well over two years for PTSD on almost a weekly basis and sometimes twice a week when I have classes.

My first CP exam I had the doctor dignosed me with panic attacks and major depression. Gafs 40 and 43. He did not give me PTSD. I got 50%

I had the same CP Doctor last month for a new exam and although I have been being seen for PTSD he again dignosed me with this time

Generalized anxiety Disorder Gaf 35

Panic attacks Gaf 38

Major Depression Gaf 38

\

I told the gentleman that called me that the VA already had stressor letters from 2005. He said they didn't. I told him they were in my C-file. He said no that they just got my service records the other day.

I know they had my Service Records already and the letters because I have a copy of my C-file, thanks to you guys. He said to write the letters again and that I could't send him copies of the letters from the first time around.

This is were I need your help. When I first wrote my stresser letters in 2005 I had never seen my service records. When I wrote one of my stressors I had to go by memory of this event that happened 30 years before and I was off by 6 months. Is this going to hurt me with my claim when I correct the time line.

Thank you Kris

Roger;

I have been being treated for PTSD by the VA Doc's and I am dignosed with PTSD from my VA Doc's. However when I had my CP exam both last year and this year the CP Doc says I do not have PTSD. So my 50% is for Panic disorder and major depression and on this new exam the CP added generalized anxiety disorder. This is where I am confused myself because If the CP Doc keeps turning me down on PTSD why do I have to send my stressor letters again. Hope this made sence

Kris

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris - you're right, it makes no sense. I don't believe Panic Disorder requires a stressor letter or verification of stressors, as that is specific to VA PTSD claims. It only makes sense if the VA is CUE-ing themselves on the Panic Disorder and trying to convert it to PTSD, which someone coud be doing but unlikely. However since they are treating you for PTSD maybe they are processing a claim for PTSD in an effort to give you that increase. I'd contact your claims manager and ask or just give them another stressor letter. I don't believe your first stressor letter was needed unless it started out as a PTSD claim. jmo

pr

Every mental disorder or condition-anxiety, depression, panic disorder mood disorder, PTSD, bi polar, schizophrenia etc etc etc needs a "nexus" to service.

The word nexus can also be referred to as the cause, link, reason, etiology, event, occurence etc, etc.

If there is documentation of treatment for a mental disability in the SMRs this is the Nexus-the link to the service period,(the treatment record must clearly reveal the source of the veteran's inservice problems)-- if there is no nexus or link in the SMRs the veterans needs a buddy statement or maybe their disciplinary record in the SRB , or private doctor or hospitalization records during service periods that reveal the nexus.

Kris you have established a nexus -since you do get SC and I assume the SC is for those conditions you mentioned.

There would be no additional rating for PTSD-if you have that- the overall rating from 50% could be increased based on how all of this affects you- but the VA will not make a separate compensation award for PTSD-they could chnge the whole diagnosis but still it would take medical evidence to show a higher rating and there would not be any additional rating-

I read a BVA decision some time ago where the vet was trying to get his schizophrenia service connected.

He was a combat vet who also had a diagnosis of PTSD.

For some bizarre reason he and his POA were fight for the schizophrenia award yet the PTSD -if claimed instead- seemed to me to have been a better and easier way to go-then again VA could have said that the PTSD component was not at a ratable level.

NSC mental disabilities and SC mental disabilities also can overlap- and this takes phycological testing to separate the two conditions and determine how much is SC able and how is NSC.

Also an SC can aggravate a NSC condition-another way to go-

In your case perhaps the medical evidence can show that your SC disabilities have caused or aggravated PTSD-

if the PTSD is NSC that is one thing but if that also is SC - as I understand Vikes posts,

there will only be one rating that compensation is based on -for service connected mental disability.

I suggest you read his posts because I might have misinterpreted them.

I have never met a vet who has two separate compensation awards for two separate mental disabilities-

they can have two separate awards for stuff like this-

Brain trauma and also PTSD-

my husband was in this category-

two tests of tests at VA with a shrink could separate the PTSD (100%)mental SC from the physical

brain damage of a CVA (100%)stroke caused by VA health care.

Physical brain trauma or disability is an independent system and not rated as mental Disability the way depression, anxiety, or PTSD etc is.

To also support what I mean Rod got SSA for the Stroke,(VA admitted to causing this) but then another award with better EED solely for the PTSD.

Two separate independent disabilities.

It is why I am fighting for SMC under a CUE-clearlu supported by OGC Pres Op 30-97 and numerous BVA decisions.

100% PTSD SC plus 100% CVA (and heart disease and DMII yet to be rated-all due to VA under Sec 1151) is basis for level beyond "S" for SMC.

VA says he was not eligible for SMC under any circumstance.

Vike has made many posts on this issue here and they can be found under search-he explained it better than I just did.

and maybe I misunderstood him-but I know of no vet who gets separate comp for two mental conditions.

Edited by Berta