Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does The Vamc And The Varo Talk To Each Other?

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

I am woundering if the VAMC and the RO talk to each other. For example, when I see a Dr at the VAMC can they look at my RO medical files and C & P exams and examination notes that the examiners put in the system?

Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I will relate my experience to you. I regularly go to Spokane Wa VA for treatment etc. The VA sent me to Portland Oregon in February for a C&P for post cancer residual and TDIU. I ALWAYS get copies of Dr notes etc of EVERY visit to every VAMC. I read the C&P report from Portland and it contained VITAL info on my condition. On my next visit to my primary care and urologist in Spokane they said the C&P exam was not in the computer. I gave them both a copy and asked them to start the recomendations the C&P doctor had suggested. To be safe, I also went to the release of information and asked the clerk to send copies of the C&P to my urologist and pc doctor, then add the report in my files so it would be available on my doctor visits.

I also was told that if your doctor has access to VA remote data, the C&P doctor notes will be there. Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VARO and the VAMC don't talk to each other. They hardly know of each other's existence. The VA Health Administration and the VA Benefits Administration only cummunicate when you have a C&P exam or when the VARO requests records from VAMC. It is up to you to put them into communication about evidence that is in your health records at the VAMC. The VA is a big, fat, dysfunctional organization that has no idea what the left or right hand is doing.

i think it's best that they don't communicate without the veterans explicit consent. can you imagine the troubles if ecery time you went to a doctor, some one at VBA reviewed you r records and perhaps tripped across a way to interrupt your benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

Folks,

I guess this big disorganized bumbling organizaiton got it together to mess with my claim.

It goes both ways. My primary doctor is fully aware of the fact that I am 100% and why. This comes up on his computer immediately. How much more access I am not sure of.

During the processing of my claim the RO contacted the VAMC and asked the allergy clinic to make a current assessment of my condition without notifying me. In an adversarial system this would be considered an "exparte" communication between my treating doctor and the defendant. This would never happen in civil litigation. When I figured it out I asked my SO how they could do this. He said that they pull records from your treating doctors at the VA all the time. There is no big difference if they get a current assesment by a C&P or by asking the clinic if you are scheduled to come in and to answer some questions. He did not think it replaced a C&P but was technically not prohibited.

The way I figured this out was through a counter survelliance technique called "misinformation". I provided some information to the RO about my claim that I did not provide to the clinic. When I went to a regularly scheduled allergy clinic treatment the doctor started asking me questions about a diagnosis and symptoms that only the RO knew existed. I was really surprised because the clinic doctor was telling me things that I told the RO. Then they start scheduling me for tests that had not been considered a medical necessity by treating doctors for the previous 25 years. Later I learned that had the tests beeen positive it would have confused my claim to the point where it would not have been service connected. Fortunately, the tests were not conclusive.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

Hence why I think all PTSD vets at 100% should seek healthcare in the civilian community....even if it means costing you a lot of money. 1 or 2 thousand a year in medical expenses is better than losing 20K+ a year because the VARO got ahold of a psych appointment on a "good" day. Physical conditions are less subjective, so I wouldn't really worry much about those....

But, then again, we should just have universal health care and do away with the VAMC all together so more money can be devoted to compensation.

Hello all, I am back briefly, and very limited times but in answer to your question..

It has been my experience that they do communicate on a professional level. The RO OFTEN orders tests and exams and the veteran only knows they have a new appointment and not why.

The RO can and DOES do periodic reviews of tagged cases. If they believe that there is a possibility for improvement, then they order periodic exams, or review current exams.

I personally am of two minds about this. While it is true that veterans conditions in individual cases can and do improve, I just cant get around the reviews which are done without the veterans knowlege. To me it seems, well underhanded... if they notified the veteran that they were doing so before using the same information to make a determination or give notice that would allow the veteran to collect their civilian treatment records etc...

Anyway this has just been MY experience... others may and probably do differ.

Bob Smith