Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Deceased Veteran Widows Pay

Rate this question

banchie

Question

Hi Brothers & Sisters. My life has improved so much thanks to all of you! A slight tear there, sorry.

;)

One of my brother veterans died with his power of attorney assigned to his wife. He was wounded in Nam in the leg and received disability benefits for leg wounds & PTSD. He died of cancer before I could get him A/O connected (was filing the paperwork on presumption). His rate for leg wounds never increased over his lifetime.

The VA has since cut his wife off from any VA benefits. Is this correct? Here is a women who endured a PTSD veteran, and cared for him dying of cancer in her home. Is she entitled to anything? Pension or VA compensation coupled to power of attorney?

Thanks for your help in advance. Banchie VN 67-68'

• Answers 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Yes Deltaj, thank you for pointing that out. The fact that he was on the drug Accutane (not aforementioned here) at the time of death is significant in your statement as well because the med recs state that his triglycerides were being highly elevated by Accutane and just prior to his death his med recs show triglyceride count of 578 which is 5 to 7 times normal. This was mentioned in my original OLD IMO and was totally ignored, as was the entire IMO.

Thanks for your comments.

Judy

• HadIt.com Elder

Judy:

Good Luck and I agree with Berta 100%. Please don't give up your husband earned a DIC grant for you.

Delta-glad to see you here and you brought up excellent points-

Judy-"triglycerides were being highly elevated by Accutane and just prior to his death his med recs show triglyceride count of 578 which is 5 to 7 times normal."

that is a horrific Trigly reading- if the accutane was administered by VA and also based on what Delta said- I am being to see the 1151 basis being raised higher-

STILL- direct DIC is what you want here-

but you can hold onto any evidence if you ever need to file under Sec 1151.

I raised 3 ways to SC my husband's death directly- each claim supported with evidence specific to each reason-

But there is not time limit on 1151 claims so that could confuse the direct SC issue at this time.

A vet or widow can suggest any potental reason for a proper SC award.

The ME in NY would not alter my husband's death certificate.What bothers me is that the CDC wants to know how many cases of undiagnosed diabetes cause deaths in the USA and they compile stats.

The ME has however out my IMOs into their file there.

But won't amend the death certificate.

I have helped two widows get DCs amended though in other states.

Delta-glad to see you here and you brought up excellent points-

Judy-"triglycerides were being highly elevated by Accutane and just prior to his death his med recs show triglyceride count of 578 which is 5 to 7 times normal."

that is a horrific Trigly reading- if the accutane was administered by VA and also based on what Delta said- I am being to see the 1151 basis being raised higher-

STILL- direct DIC is what you want here-

but you can hold onto any evidence if you ever need to file under Sec 1151.

I raised 3 ways to SC my husband's death directly- each claim supported with evidence specific to each reason-

But there is not time limit on 1151 claims so that could confuse the direct SC issue at this time.

A vet or widow can suggest any potental reason for a proper SC award.

The ME in NY would not alter my husband's death certificate.What bothers me is that the CDC wants to know how many cases of undiagnosed diabetes cause deaths in the USA and they compile stats.

The ME here has however put my IMOs into their file there.

But won't amend the death certificate.

I have helped two widows get DCs amended though in other states.

The coroner was astonished when he asked me if Rod was a diabetic and of course I said No as the VA had never diagnosed him with diabetes-

he asked me two more times-are you sure?

He is a PA,not a doctor, but the first person who really saw the true etiology of Rod's death and it took me 9 more years to see it.

Everything Jim was prescribed did in fact come from VAMC. His records indicate at the time of death he had been on Accutane 6+ months and Trigl's rising the entire time.

I just emailed Dr. Bash to ask him to look for any evidence of your suggestions, Deltaj and thank you for commenting.

Berta, I am convinced we have DIC here; absolutely convinced as is Dr. Bash and the SO from AL.

I emailed Dr. Bash yesterday and gave him the info on where to find the ME doctor who signed the death certificate; got a reply this morning that he thinks my suggestion to do so is the correct way to go. He is considering whether HE or I should be the one to contact the ME.... I think HE should because HE is a physician and carries more knowledge, authority and clout than I do. Makes sense to me as HE has the med recs and can "talk the talk" so to speak. We'll see how this effort plays out.

We are also trying to prove (the proof is here in the med recs) that the VA decreased rating in 1970 (through 1981) was in ERROR as that would make them responsible for those 11 years of reduced rating as well.

Judy

Berta: "I have helped two widows get DCs amended though in other states."

Berta, you probably can answer this:

Does the death certificate HAVE to be amended by the SAME ME who signed it ORIGINALLY or by the present ME of that jurisdiction? I am unclear as to who has the authority to do something like that.

Thanks,

Judy