VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Deceased Veteran Widows Pay

Rate this question

banchie

Question

Hi Brothers & Sisters. My life has improved so much thanks to all of you! A slight tear there, sorry.

;)

One of my brother veterans died with his power of attorney assigned to his wife. He was wounded in Nam in the leg and received disability benefits for leg wounds & PTSD. He died of cancer before I could get him A/O connected (was filing the paperwork on presumption). His rate for leg wounds never increased over his lifetime.

The VA has since cut his wife off from any VA benefits. Is this correct? Here is a women who endured a PTSD veteran, and cared for him dying of cancer in her home. Is she entitled to anything? Pension or VA compensation coupled to power of attorney?

Thanks for your help in advance. Banchie VN 67-68'

• Answers 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder
Does anyone know if it is normal for Dr. Bash to take a week or more to reply after you request a consult via his website? I still haven't heard from him and was just wondering.

Judy

I think someone posted that Dr Bash is just getting off a vacation or has been out of his office. I would send a second request Monday or try and call him.

Thanks Pete; I had not heard or read that he was on vacation. I'll try to contact him again if I don't hear from him in a few days. I appreciate your answer.

Judy

I called my Regional DAV this morning and they wouldn't let me speak to the NSO; handed me off to the assistant (no problem) and he was quick to say that he didn't have time to listen to a lengthy story of my case so I quickly tried to tell him the core of the claim(s) that I wanted assistance with. He then told me to come in, bring files and rushed me off the phone. Now I know they are busy but he said "I've had three other calls in the couple of minutes I've been talking to you".

Well, guess what? I don't think this man is anybody that I need to be talking to; he obviously is much too busy to help me, period.

So I called another SO and left my name and number; waiting for a return call.

Just wondering if this is the way it goes from here on.

Judy

Dr. BAsh recently examined one of our vets here- in his Bethesda office- I would call him if I were you-

Judy if any rep from DAV or wherever gives you problems- go to the VA web site- and find name and phone number of their org's National Commander and call them and raise Hell.

Often widows get treated like crap-by vet reps-

I dont know why- we did not make the laws that cover us for potential benefits -the VA did.

I'm able to manage a smile tonight. Dr. Bash called and after our conversation he believes strongly that we can win both the DIC for SC by linking the Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease on the death certificate to the Hodgkin's Lymphoma and its treatment(s) as well as the Sec 1151 case for malpractice since they failed to diagnose and treat the heart problem when the med records clearly show that he had one and complained of the symptoms.

I'm compiling all the records and documents to forward on to him for the two IMO's.

I also spoke with the County Commander of the American Legion today and he was more than helpful and optimistic as well. I have an appointment to see him with all my records and documents also.

Thanks Berta, Pete, Morgan and all who helped and encouraged me to start this all over again after so long. I know its a long road ahead but worth every bit of effort and money, thanks again.

Judy