Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Deceased Veteran Widows Pay

Rate this question

banchie

Question

Hi Brothers & Sisters. My life has improved so much thanks to all of you! A slight tear there, sorry.

;)

One of my brother veterans died with his power of attorney assigned to his wife. He was wounded in Nam in the leg and received disability benefits for leg wounds & PTSD. He died of cancer before I could get him A/O connected (was filing the paperwork on presumption). His rate for leg wounds never increased over his lifetime.

The VA has since cut his wife off from any VA benefits. Is this correct? Here is a women who endured a PTSD veteran, and cared for him dying of cancer in her home. Is she entitled to anything? Pension or VA compensation coupled to power of attorney?

Thanks for your help in advance. Banchie VN 67-68'

• Answers 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I got a phone call today from the SO's secretary saying that he told her to call me and inform me that he didn't have time to help with my case and that I should find another SO to use. She said she would mail my file to me.

I know that the C File has been sent to VARO as the St.Louis archive sent me a followup letter saying that it was and that I should contact the VARO regarding the file.

IF memory serves me correct, I had to sign a POA for this SO and so now if I get someone else how badly does that muddy the water at my stage? The only document he created was a letter to VARO that we are reopening the SC DIC and also telling them we are opening a Sec 1151 claim.

I can't believe this guy went through all the motions of meeting with me, sending the letter and setting up a file, only to lay it on his desk and almost a month later he hasn't even looked at it so now this message from his secretary.

Must I just fight this battle on my own? Maybe so Berta, maybe so.

Judy

I suggest that you email or call Martin F. Conatser- the new National COmmander of the American Legion

Natl.Cmdr@legion.org

The AL is prohibited from discriminatng against widows with valid VA claims.

Since he could not discriminate against , his attitude means he doesnt have time for veterans as well as widows and probably picks and chooses the claims he wants to work on.

I would report him to the AL and also ask them for a rep vet who DOES have time for your claim.

Unfortunately many many widows often find they are being pushed around by vet reps.

The recourse is to push them around- by making them accountable for how they treat us.

I am beginning to think NO one should get a vet rep or service officer-

then again- the good ones can provide significant help on a claim-

He had to revoke your POA formally by certified mail-

I wonder if you can expect to receive that formal revocation.

Hi Berta,

I cut and pasted the email address you gave but alas, it was returned to me as "undeliverable".

Judy

Natl.Cmdr@legion.org is what I used. Not sure why the problem.

I think maybe you have to email him via their web site:

http://www.legion.org/?section=our_legion&...ol_ntlcommander