Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received My Award Letter Today

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Well today I received my award letter for TDIU in the mail and my retro in the bank. Eight days from the day it was date stamped approved to the day it arrived at my mailbox. It took 10 months all together for the TDIU and 2ndary conditions claim that were filed and finally, I was awarded TDIU, but they seemed to have forgotten or left out the rest of the claim we filed, like the rest of the secondary conditions. They don't even show them as being deferred or even mention them at all in the award letter. What do you make of that? They were all filed together. My rep is on vacation until next week, so I have to see what she says about it. They left my combined rating at 60% and gave me IU, which is great. I am not disappointed at all. I would like to have my other conditions added to my claim though, this way my schedular rating would be 100%. They didn't even mention them in the award letter. It just struck me as odd, because all of the secondary conditions listed were mentioned in my C&P by the VA doctor.

Any thought on why the VA wouldn't have mentioned the other secondary conditions mentioned in the claim?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

because they hope by granting the TDIU you will be happy with the 100% check and quit busting their chops over the other issues, adding up issues to get to 100% is usually hard to do unless the secondary conditions are lung or cardiovascular and are severe that last 10% is a MF did they send you the insurance paperwork for CHAMPVA for dependents? in other words did it say anything about being P&T? Most vets give up fighting with them once that happens and they may be hoping they don't have to do the other work

They sent me Champva paperwork not long ago when items still deferred and in progress. They did send me the Chap 35 of title 38 DEA booklet with my letter. As for giving up...hell no. I have Hyothyroidism, very bad from this condition I have. I have textbook 60%, and probably 100%, as well as tinitus and tmj, and migrains still so 10% for tinnitus is fine and would bump me to 70% on the schedular side of my rating, then if they gave me 60% for the hypo it would round me to 90% on the schedular side. I just don't want the VA to be able to take anything away from me since it took me so long to get it. I know if I pusue it, I will get the 100% on the schedular side also, it will just take longer.

Oh, they did write "We enclosed a VA Form 21-8760,"Additional Information for Veterans with Service Connected Permanent and Total Disability," which explains certian factors concerning your benefits."

So I am taking this as 100% P&T.

Tamara

They sent me Champva paperwork not long ago when items still deferred and in progress. They did send me the Chap 35 of title 38 DEA booklet with my letter. As for giving up...hell no. I have Hyothyroidism, very bad from this condition I have. I have textbook 60%, and probably 100%, as well as tinitus and tmj, and migrains still so 10% for tinnitus is fine and would bump me to 70% on the schedular side of my rating, then if they gave me 60% for the hypo it would round me to 90% on the schedular side. I just don't want the VA to be able to take anything away from me since it took me so long to get it. I know if I pusue it, I will get the 100% on the schedular side also, it will just take longer.

Oh, they did write "We enclosed a VA Form 21-8760,"Additional Information for Veterans with Service Connected Permanent and Total Disability," which explains certian factors concerning your benefits."

So I am taking this as 100% P&T.

Tamara

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love it when someone wins!!!

Big Hugs,

Gwen

This is wonderful news!

Have you apllied for SSA disability benefits too TDAk?

Your state might have some bennies- as to property tax reductions and/or some other educational benefits for your dependents if they use Chap 35.

I am not sure but I think there is a state benefit list here somewhere.

Here in NY the property tax deductions for vets and widows is determined by county and then village and town. It pays to look into these things.

If there is a county Veterans Service Agency in your county-they would know and would also probably have the property tax application.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Tamara,

I am so happy for you and please do go the " whole nine yards" You deserve it.

Go to the attorney to reel in the " Reconsideration" for your 100% Social Security Disability.

Best Wishes,

Always,

Josephine