Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reaction To Meds

Rate this question

dman001948

Question

I had a reaction to the med by the name of Lovastatin (Cholesterol).

Urine was Brown and had bad lower Right (calf area) leg cramps.

Now one of the side affects in that..however, it also includes Muscle damage might accured.

How do find out if there was Muscle damage? I don't think the VA is going to help me there ( VA Meds by the way).

And if I have muscle damage how do I put in a claim for it?

I did call the VA and they told me stop taking the Med and they would get back with me....hadn't happen yet.

Thanks..

Edited by dman001948

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can't control your cholesterol by diet you need something to help. There are other kinds of meds probably more expensive that you may be able to take. I use Zocor from VA and with good success my last reading was 134 taking 40 mg per day.

I know that leg cramps are a problem my wife's Aunt had to quit taking the smae medicine for the same reason.

Good Luck and you should press the VA to prescribe some other Med that does not have the same side effects.

Regarding your urine color I have dark urine if I do not drink water and wait a long time to go to bathroom.

• HadIt.com Elder

There are other drugs you can take that don't have these type side effects but the VA may not pay for them because the other drugs are more expensive.

I have been taking this Med for about 6 months now ( second time change on the Meds) ( First time on another type, I had a real bad reaction, so I changed) I started having the cramps about a month ago..thought it was nothing more then not having walk for awhile. I use to walk everyday, but since I have went back to college ( under the Voc Rehab ) My study's have slow me down as far as walking. So I play it off as that...But when it got to the point that standing and sitting my right calf stiff'en up...I said self, this isn't right, so I went up to the VA and they at first na, it couldn't be the Meds..you have taken them to long, it would have shown up by now ( sometimes bodys take longer then others)They ran through a bunch of tests and were putting thiers arms in the air..saying we don't know..but it could be related to my bad back and the muscles are pulling from there..BUT....Phoenix nor Tucson VA have a back clinic the closet one is in San Diego.

So..I did some trials myself, first I took my self off the Med and waited about 4 days..Urine clear up ( Brown is a side effect and one should stop the meds if that happens) Cramps now are not present in standing or sitting, but the calf tight'ens up and losen'en up while I walk but not cramping.

So on the 5th day I call the VA (30 July,2007) and inform them..they said it could also cause muscle damage and for me to not take it again and they would get back with me.

I'm more worried about the damage the Meds have already done and if so, can I put in a claim against the Va for said damage ie, Muscle damage?

My readings prior to the Meds were 201 after Meds around 175...I was just a little over to start with..Maybe I just can't take the Meds, My body saids no....

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have permanent damage you could put in a claim. Berta knows exactly what you need to do. I think it is a Section 1151 claim. You need to get outside the VA system I think. Muscle problems with these drugs are a red flag and very widely recognized. That is the first thing a good internist will ask you. You would need a strong medical opinion to say you have permanent damage and the VA drug caused it. I understand it is usually a atrophy kind of damage to the muscles.