VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc=s

Rate this question

slowhand197

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

With one SC at 100% the additional disabilities must have one rated at 60% or more (service connected)

SMC "S" is also the Housebound award.

The Housebound award is determined if the veteran has one single 100% SC disability and then falls into the housebound criteria.

HB criteria:

1.the veteran is substantially confined to their dwelling due to a SC disability.

2.It is reasonable certain that the disability will continue throughout their lifetime.

A veteran with documented agoraphobia for example and 100% SC for PTSD would fall into the housebound status.

Any vet who feels they should be awarded HB should file a claim for it if they have a 100% SC disability.

I had a vet in a panic one day because he not only has SMC for severe agoraphobia but he developed claustrophobia too-

It pays to study housebound claims at the BVA to see what evidence can prove the housebound status.

The comp is the same as the SMC S for 100% plus 60%.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I got it 4 months after I applied for it. Oops, I guess the VA knew that they screwed up. I appealed it in April and asked for a DRO Hearing and have not heard a peep. I want the VA to pay retro back to the date I was awarded 100% which would be November 1993 or even better back to the original date I filed June 1991 and was awarded SSD effective March 1991. We will see what happens there is a lot of money on the table.

• HadIt.com Elder

I called 1 800 827 1000 and after a 15 minute wait to get an operator I was connected to a VARO Counselor who informed me that I would have to wait at least a year to have my DRO Hearing. A light bulb went off the VA is stacking Appeals and concentrating on getting initial claims out.

I asked him if I was spinning my wheels and told him what my argument was and a miracle happened. He told me he was not a rator but that he checked something he had and said I had a strong claim. In other words the VA should have considered Housebound when I got the initial award and that my asking for it has set the machinery in motion.

can a veteran with 100% for one disability and a combination of 70% for a few other disabilities get SMC-S. Are there any other requirements or is it automatic? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Yes, it is automatic. Pursuant title 38 CFR PT. 3 §3.350 (i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s).

The special monthly compensation provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran

has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and, (1) Has additional service-

connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct

from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily

systems

Note, the regulation states is payable where the veteran... . In my experience as a VSO all claims meeting the above referenced criteria by law [38 U.S.C. 1114(s) ] has to be granted.

The word total in VA language is 100% B)

Edited by Big Papa