Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seeking Any Help And Advice

Rate this question

daveinky

Question

Hello, I have read quite a bit of info on here but am lost as to what I need to do for myself. I am SC 10% for osteoarthritis in left knee. I started having back pain in Nov. 06 and finally had MRI which showed facet arthritis, bulging disc, and foraminal narrowing all on left side at L5-S1. I go for my last visit of PT tomorrow, which hasn't helped and meds haven't helped.

I am self employed and do construction work, remodel, decks, hardwood floors,tile work, etc.. I haven't worked the last couple of month's due to my back and the Physical Therapist said I shouldn't be doing the type of work I do.

So, I am really lost as to what I should do. Who do I go see to try and help me with a possible claim for my back problems possibly caused by my knee and trying to increase rating on my knee? I know it's going to be a battle trying to connect my back problems to my knee, but I have to try.

I live in a very rural area that is mainly coal mine related and don't have much qualifications for those type of jobs. Is there somewhere I can go for employment assistance? Does the VA offer any kind of help for someone in my situation? Thanks for any help and or advice.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Dave:

Welcome to Hadit and good luck on your claim.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Use your GI benefits if you have them.

A disability rating of 30 percent or more will automatically enable you for Vocational Rehabilitation.

File for a SC percentage increase if your disability is worsening.

File a new Claim for a Secondary condition.

Edited by Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

If you can get an independent medical opinion that states that the back problems are stemming from the knee that is SC (as Wings said correctly-this could be secondary claim) and also a medical statement that this is so dehabilitating you cannot work-

the VA would award you potentially- TDIU (the 100% rate)

You claim is not unusual in that a knee problem can cause hip, foot and back problems.

If a doctor agrees that the SC knee has caused these additional problems- they would have to SC the back problems.

My neighbor has similiar claim-almost- in his case the VA doctor said his knee problems could have started due to an inservice back problem.His back problem was documented in his SMCs and he just got 10% for back injury. He can NOD this and add claim for knee as secondary.He has documentation from the VA doctor that the knee is associated to the inservice back injury.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would definitely try and get some VA sponsored rehabilitation/job training before the pain gets worse because it never gets better. I had a pretty physical job and my shoulder and back started to bother me. I would try for VA vocational rehabilitation. How old are you? If you are young you don't want to be physically disabled by the time you are 50 from hard work. You may have to make some major changes but it is better to do is sooner than to be caught in a situation where you are too old to get hired into something else and too young to retire.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. john999, or anyone else, Who do I see or how do I go about VA vocrehab/job training. I am currently only 10% SC for my knee and thought I had to be at least 30% to get vocrehab.

I will be 40 in Dec. and that is what my concern is as to the hard work (physically demanding) and making my condition worse. The work I do already bothers me as to the constant pain and also fear of making things even worse. I have already been told by VA physical therapist that my back condition will not get any better and that the PT is only to try and keep it from getting any worse. Do I need to get my back SC'd before I can get any vocrehab? Thanks again for the advice.

I would definitely try and get some VA sponsored rehabilitation/job training before the pain gets worse because it never gets better. I had a pretty physical job and my shoulder and back started to bother me. I would try for VA vocational rehabilitation. How old are you? If you are young you don't want to be physically disabled by the time you are 50 from hard work. You may have to make some major changes but it is better to do is sooner than to be caught in a situation where you are too old to get hired into something else and too young to retire.

Any veteran with a SC rating of 20% or more is eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits under Chapter 31, and 38 CFR 21.40(a (2006)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.