VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Zero % After Dro Hearing For Ptsd

Rate this question

Johnny K.

Question

Dear Tbird,

This site is an unbelieveable blessing and, after more than two years of trying to prove service connection for my PTSD, I finally found the site a couple of months ago, after my Legion Rep told me about it.

I have been married twice, most recently for fourteen years. I am a Vietnam and Desert Storm non-combat veteran and worked as a Hospital Corpsman from 1973-1992 mostly with the Marine Corps as a Field Medical Service Technician as a platoon corpsman , and as an EMT/Paramedic at Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital emergency services, and in the refugee camp in 1975 where all of my documented stressors occurred, along with caring for the sick and wounded returning to Long Beach Naval Hospital during 1972.

Last week a DRO sent me a transcript of our meeting and changed me from a complete denial status of my service connection claim to zero %. I have been treated by private mental health professionals on an outpatient basis since 1981, and by VA doctors since 2005. The diagnoses have always included anxiety/panic disorder, major depression, etc. GAF 55.

My American Legion Rep is happy and says that, now that I have recieved service connection status, we can appeal again for a higher percentage of disability.

I currently work four hours a day, five days a week in a job which allows me to have minimal contact with the public, and that helps me avoid many of my stressors.

I drive to and from work, and drive at work and, because I am on medication continuously I have few road rage incidents. I have been on medication for many years for my symptoms and I recieve them from a VA psychiatrist.

The transcript from the DRO had several mistakes in it, and I would like to correct them. How do I do that?

Also, in order to get my rating increased do I need to get a statement of employability? And should I go to a civilian psychologist, or psychiatrist-- or the VA psychiatrist (who I do not completely trust). Who's opinion would carry the most weight with the people who make ratings decisions?

One of the great Hadit community members provided me with a list describing what each percentage increment for PTSD requires, and I believe I fall somewhere around 30-50 %.

Thanks for your great heart and the help of the whole Hadit community.

Doc John

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

sounds like the DRO was playing the numbers game. if the issue in front of him is "entitlement to service connection for ptsd" then he can award service connection and pull the issue off appeal as a "complete grant of benefits." he did that by granting you what you asked for, and assigning a zero percent evaluation. he gets the credit for disposing of a case, and his pending appeals numbers go down by one.

now you have a new claim for "evaluation of service connected posttraumatic stress disorder" which is not on appeal. since you have a diagnosed mental disorder and take medication, an evaluation of 10 percent is inevitable. but higher evaluations may depend on complex issues specific to your claim. do you have co-existing mental disorders, one of which is not service connected? such a scenario is suggested by the DRO's assignment of a 0 percent, and can be problematic for getting a higher evaluation.

Wow... I knew that they played the numbers game, I had been told about it before, but having it confirmed by another ex-rater is scary. Do they do this often? I mean honestly, how often do you think this occurs? Maybe you cant answer this because it's too involved but I think it is pertinent to the question at hand, and other claims as well. I have seen claims where this is what I thought happened, or something similar... so I'd like to know an estimate if possible. Sorry if it puts you on the spot. Don't answer if your not comfortable in doing so.

Thanks Entropent,

I filed for PTSD in 2000, got denied and failed to appeal because of cancer surgery, and chemo/radiation.

I filed a new claim for PTSD IN 2005, and now, since this DRO decision, I am adding Major Depressive Disorder, which the C&P psych conceded as service connected.

I just keep punching the clock and filing appeals.

They can play the numbers game all they want- I will not give up until I get what they owe me. Or die.

Doc John

Wow... I knew that they played the numbers game, I had been told about it before, but having it confirmed by another ex-rater is scary. Do they do this often? I mean honestly, how often do you think this occurs? Maybe you cant answer this because it's too involved but I think it is pertinent to the question at hand, and other claims as well. I have seen claims where this is what I thought happened, or something similar... so I'd like to know an estimate if possible. Sorry if it puts you on the spot. Don't answer if your not comfortable in doing so.

the numbers game is always a factor. but it normally works in favor of a veteran. that is to say, a dro may go a little higher than he really wants to if he thinks it will resolve the claim. that is not to say that one can negotiate a deal with the dro (as in, give me this and i will withdraw my claim). they are specifically prohibited from doing so. but a vet can submit a statement describing what evaluation he thinks is justified. if he does so, and the dro gives it to him, it is a complete grant. so it is a back-door way of letting the dro know that you will go away if you get a certain percentage. it's like a hanging curveball for the dro.

but in this case, the vet got sc and 0 percent. this interests me because all you need for a 10 percent evaluation is a diagnosis and medication. but the dro didn't go there. he was making a statement. i sure would love to know more about this case.

• HadIt.com Elder

Doc John, curious and excited for you about your plans. For instance, did you get service connected for PTSD? I have MDD SC but need to have MST diagnosis keyed in. Sounds like you plan to -add- to your current claim or submit a new claim, " Major Depressive Disorder, which the C&P psych conceded as service connected."

Am having a familiar discussion in my seperate but similar topic of "combining" or "adding" to a rating. I wonder if others here at Hadit have "added" to a mental health rating and how it works or could work. Take it easy,we are here in Hadit'sville! cg

Doc John, curious and excited for you about your plans. For instance, did you get service connected for PTSD? I have MDD SC but need to have MST diagnosis keyed in. Sounds like you plan to -add- to your current claim or submit a new claim, " Major Depressive Disorder, which the C&P psych conceded as service connected."

Am having a familiar discussion in my seperate but similar topic of "combining" or "adding" to a rating. I wonder if others here at Hadit have "added" to a mental health rating and how it works or could work. Take it easy,we are here in Hadit'sville! cg

Dear CG,

Yes B) I got service connected for PTSD at 0%. But that is only the new beginning. I also have MDD , conceded as "more likely than not SC" by the C&P shrink. Now I need to have that diagnosis included in my claim.

Just one little step at a time....I'll get there B)

Doc

the numbers game is always a factor. but it normally works in favor of a veteran. that is to say, a dro may go a little higher than he really wants to if he thinks it will resolve the claim. that is not to say that one can negotiate a deal with the dro (as in, give me this and i will withdraw my claim). they are specifically prohibited from doing so. but a vet can submit a statement describing what evaluation he thinks is justified. if he does so, and the dro gives it to him, it is a complete grant. so it is a back-door way of letting the dro know that you will go away if you get a certain percentage. it's like a hanging curveball for the dro.

but in this case, the vet got sc and 0 percent. this interests me because all you need for a 10 percent evaluation is a diagnosis and medication. but the dro didn't go there. he was making a statement. i sure would love to know more about this case.

Entropent,

I will keeep you posted.

Doc