Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Test

Rate this topic

Flatbroke

I've used a CPAP for ten years. I like it so well that I even wear it when reading the paper in bed before I go to sleep--I guess I find the sound agreeable.

I am curious about the chemical stress test; I've never heard of it. Could you discuss this briefly?

Thanks...

Manitou, On the chemical test they hook you up to all the leads like an EKG. Then they do an ultra sound on your heart for a base line. Then slowly induce the chemical to raise your heart rate. My target rate ws 138 and I went up to 144 so I did pretty good. It ws a little uncomfortable but no pain and very little discomfort, but you got to remember everyone will take to it differantly. I got real cold but the ladies put another blanket on me and I was O.K. Like I said they crew they had on me was real good people.

I am ready for my CPAP machine, i have to go up for classes one day next week before I use the machine. My Brother-in-Law is 375+ pounds and after he got his machine you could actualy stay in the same HOUSE with him. Even if he lays down for a short nap on goes the machine.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flatbroke - if you have your ducks in order all will go well during the hearing. My experience and the experience of those I have helped is that the hearings are very laid back. So calm down and put what you are going to present into a logical order then get this thing on my man. We will all be pulling for you.

Ricky I am ready and like every one else I have been looking and researching here on Hadit and watching the advice given and makin notes so I go to Battle with a whole host of FRIENDS backing me up.

Hey guys. I got a question (and, no, Pete, I'm not trying to join the debating team, just ask a question :) ).

I have a "sleep study" finally scheduled for January. I have sleep apnea (or, at least, I have all the signs and symptoms as experienced by me, and confirmed by the R.N. that I sleep with). I am not trying to get service connected for this, just trying to get some help with, maybe a CPAP machine or something.

Anyway, the question:

I've never had one of these "sleep study" things. Do they actually want you to, like, go to sleep, like you would do at home? I mean, I guess that they do (I'm not asking The Nurse, 'cause I don't want her looking at me sideways, like she sometimes does, especially when I ask what she would consider a "dumb question"). What my concern is, is the fact that I can't get to sleep at home, with the therapedic superduper bed, etc., how am I gonna sleep down at the VA? And, naturally, I can't STAY asleep even at home. They could get a much better "picture" of my sleeping abilities/habits if they had a BarcoLounger and a TV.

I don't know, I guess I'm just kinda "private" when it comes to somebody watching me sleep.

LarryJ,

They hook up a whole lot of leads to your head, cheeks, chin, legs and where ever. Then you go to sleep or what ever you do and they record, when you go to sleep, how many times you wake up, stop breathing, go into REM sleep and how long it lasts, leg movements, snoring, breathing through your mouth or nose and record everything so the Doc can see, and they realy dont expect you to sleep like a baby cause if you did you would not need thier help.

I am moderate and I was have 17.4 episodes per hour waking up or stopping breathing. So I am not getting much sleep but still better than some.

Manitou, On the chemical test they hook you up to all the leads like an EKG. Then they do an ultra sound on your heart for a base line. Then slowly induce the chemical to raise your heart rate. My target rate ws 138 and I went up to 144 so I did pretty good. It ws a little uncomfortable but no pain and very little discomfort, but you got to remember everyone will take to it differantly. I got real cold but the ladies put another blanket on me and I was O.K. Like I said they crew they had on me was real good people.

I am ready for my CPAP machine, i have to go up for classes one day next week before I use the machine. My Brother-in-Law is 375+ pounds and after he got his machine you could actualy stay in the same HOUSE with him. Even if he lays down for a short nap on goes the machine.

Thanks for the information--I did not know of that procedure. I found your comment about your brother-in-law amusing. MY brother insisted I go for a sleep study after traveling with me for

a week without sleep--no sleep I mean for HIM, not me...

• HadIt.com Elder

Sleep study in Dallas is pretty simple you check in about 8 PM and they get you ready for bed attach a bunch of leads and tell you to go to sleep. Be sure and take your meds. If you need a CPAP in Dallas they will try you out on one about 1 or 2 AM and watch you for another 3 hours or so and than if you need a machine there is a good chance they will issue you one there before you go home.

I dealt with a guy named Robert for my CPAP and he helped me upgrade to one with a full face mask and one that uses moist air which is the way to go in my opinion. Wheter or not you use a mask or nose pillows is really a matter of what you are comfortable using.

Larry no debate here you asked a good question.

• HadIt.com Elder
Sleep study in Dallas is pretty simple you check in about 8 PM and they get you ready for bed attach a bunch of leads and tell you to go to sleep. Be sure and take your meds. If you need a CPAP in Dallas they will try you out on one about 1 or 2 AM and watch you for another 3 hours or so and than if you need a machine there is a good chance they will issue you one there before you go home.

I dealt with a guy named Robert for my CPAP and he helped me upgrade to one with a full face mask and one that uses moist air which is the way to go in my opinion. Wheter or not you use a mask or nose pillows is really a matter of what you are comfortable using.

Larry no debate here you asked a good question.

Ya know what I'm really concerned about? I'm concerned about NOT being able to go to sleep. You know, different surroundings and then when I get all "keyed up" I can't go to sleep.

I just want them to have a good look at me, when I'm sleeping normally, so they can tell what's wrong.