Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression & Alcoholism Secondary To Ptsd?

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

After my claim was approved for tdiu t&p fot ptsd, my DAV rep told me, "Now that you're getting paid at the 100% rate, if you don't bother the va they won't bother you".

After the ptsd reviews that almost happened, I see that his words were false and misguided.

Anyway, my va docs have always said that i got depression from the ptsd.

Also, the va primary care doc knows from blood tests that I have been drinking.

Should I file a new claim for depression and alcoholism secondary to ptsd??

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I have another question...or two:

Can you have major depressive disorder and alcoholism without having PTSD? I have done research on PTSD and have discovered I have a lot of the syptoms of PTSD. How can that be? VA says that I didn't have any experiences that could possibly trigger PTSD. Instead they focus on my drinking entirely.

Sorry, but I do get frustrated with VA sometimes.

Liz

There is a whole list of psychiatric disorders which are seperately rateable from PTSD...the trick is getting them service connected. The same goes for alcoholism....both are easier to connect with a PTSD like stressor, but not impossible to do without. I guess examples could be physical injuries which cause major depression that lead to alcoholism. I believe this is somewhat common among physcially disabled veterans, but you'll need solid evidence showing that there are no other stressors that are not the result of your injuries (IE - if a spouse/child dies and it cause you to depressed and drink then you're going to have a real hard time getting SC, but if a spouse leaves you because of a physical disability, or the problems therein, and this leads to depression, then you have a solid case for SC).

Either way, it's almost always in your best interest to pursue a claim... the worst they can say is no (well P&T cases have other things to weigh against potential claims).