Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiation Vets

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I was just discussng this with a potential Atomic veteran and thought I should again post this here-as it was psoted here long ago.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files1/0704654.txt

"A "radiation-exposed" veteran is one who

participated in a radiation-risk activity. A "radiation-risk

activity" includes the onsite participation in a test

involving the atmospheric detonation of a nuclear device,

occupation of Hiroshima or Nagasaki during World War II, or

presence at certain specified sites. 38 C.F.R. § 3.309

(d)(3). In applying this statutory presumption, there is no

requirement for documenting the level of radiation exposure."

(also this decision does not mention the fact the Section 1112 was amended in 2002 to include

All veterans who had service at Amchitka Alaska within the nuclear testing exercises there prior to Jan 1974.

All veterans who had military service at gas diffusion plants in Paducah Kentucky, Portmouth Ohio, or at Area K 25 in Oak Ridge Tennesee with disabilities within Sec 1112 ©

and of course POWS held in Japanese prison camps after the A bomb dropped.

The vet in this recent BVA decision was exposed thus:

"A November 2005 radiation dose estimate from the Air Force

Safety Center indicated that based upon their records for the

veteran, and those for similarly exposed personnel with

common duty specialty codes and periods of exposure, his

likely maximum dose estimate for work conducted between 1964

and 1968 was 3.3 rem whole body deep dose equivalent." However the Undersecretary denied this claim.

The vet then obtained an additional IMO and succeeded in getting his cancer service connected due to radiation exposure.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I lived on an Army Post that required us to wear some gizmo that if it changed color we were supposed to head for sick call. It was a well known secret that we were sleeping on top of nukes that were not supposed to be there. Actually the word confined would be better cause we were not allowed to leave the Post except when we went out to the field for 6 weeks for training.

I don't know why all of a sudden it would dawn on me till I read Berta's last Post that there may be a lot more Atomic Vets than the poor smucks who had to watch the Abombs go off in trenches and ships.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

:lol: I have TWO veterans to whom this applies and BLESS you for finding this. They loaded atomic bombs during the cold war and they both have been denied and NOW I can finally go back to the VA and say AHA!! Thank you so much. Of course they are in appeal right now but it should work. Q
bobbyq

• HadIt.com Elder

What about he Nuclear sailors who had to work inside of the reactor compartments when a Job had to be done, Would this be a Radiation Risk?

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

jbasser -it could certainly be a 'risk' for exposure- but the fact is the vet has to prove the exposure caused them a disability that is proven to be directly due to the exposure unless within those presumptive regs-

My husband worked for over 10 years as a Nuke-equipment operator at a power plant-

they sure were fitted up with extensive gear-constant training and drills, and the RAD dosage was constantly monitored.

He technically was in an environement full of risk- but the Nuclear Power industry took great steps to prevent accidents.

If his PTSD had not gotten to him- he was making big bucks in the Nuke industry and would have made much more-

He never saw his 100% award from VA and the amount was nothing compared to what he could have made- without dealing with PTSD.

There is a lot to this subject-Atomic veterans-

Unfortunately many of these A Bomb vets are dead- who served in Japan during the occupation.My neighbor described how they walked through the devastation- they were not armed-(Army 1945)

and the Japanese survivors treated them with respect as Japan had already conceded they lost the War.

Edited by Berta

PS there are many radiation/atomic vet claims at the BVA- I wish I had time to read them all -this one is good-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files2/0419275.txt

The vet raised two potential causes for his disability- radiation exposure and also Agent Orange-

The VA granted the claim for radiation exposure.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, you are correct, There is one thing that differentiates between the exposure post bomb and a controlled Nuclear Reactor. ( Contamination)

Radiation is energy admitted from an unstable atom or isotope.

Contamination is particles of that energy in an unwanted area. Contamination can be inhaled into the throat and lungs.

I had to wear TLD.s in servcie. It had 2 crystals. One was short term exposure and the other one was a mass dose crystal so if you ever received an overdose, at least you will know how much killed you.

John

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.