Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental C&p Exam

Rate this question

wjack12412

Question

I went in for my C&P for my mental exam and I was given a test to read and remember 10 words and I received 8/10 which I was told by my neighbor I may have did to well for the VA. I did not want the doctor to think I am some type of imbecile so I really did try. I did mention that I have almost daily panic attacks and that I had one the morning of the exam. Did I do to well?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just had my C&P for Major Depression, last week.

Didn't have to read anything.....but the doc did tell me some words to remember, then, about 15 minutes later he asked me to tell him the words. I got 4 out of 5. Then he asked me to tell him the first thing he said immediately AFTER telling me to remember the 5 words.

...........ah..hmmmmm?....duh....I'm WORKIN on it, alright already, SHEEESH! :blink:

wjack,

Did you have to read the test out loud or was it a test you read and had to just give answers, if so, did you give the answers verbally or in writing? What kind of test was it (math, reading comprehension, common knowledge?) Prior to your post I've never heard of any of us that have been to a mental disorder C&P and had to read a test so I'm interested to understand what transpired.

I concur w/ the others - be honest and shoot straight with the VA. A vet's honor is never dependent on what the VA does or doesn't do, we can only play our part.

If your C&P exam was done at an outpatient facility you may have to contact the closest major VA hospital to get a copy of your C&P exam where your Va med records are held.

Let us know about reading the test.

Thanks,

TS Snave

It was a test of about 50 words. When I took my test for SSDI the examiner read me a test and I had to remember as much about what he read as possible as well as memorize some words in order by writing them. I was approved for SSDI the first time within 4 months. For the VA C&P after reading the words I had to just tell him what I remembered and he wrote them down.

Best of luck to you. Do you think the test could have been short term memory related? I think I recall one like that years ago on my C&P. Anyway, I have a really good feeling that things will work out for you.

When I read my CFile C&P report, I was surprised at the detail, the Dr. recorded my physical appearance! He said I shuffled in, made occasional eye contact and had nervous habits. In fact when I first read the report, I thought it was about someone else! So funny now, just took me a while to laugh, the ghoulish, overweight, unclean Dr. could have played a part in a VIncent Price movie and won an award am sure, yup, down right creepy. Gave me a "personality disorder"- smile! Finally got MDD rating now and follow up care a decade later, thank God!cg

That is what I was thinking, but some days my memory is better than the next. Although, he did have to walk me out as I got lost leaving the room(lol). I am hoping that they hurry and decide my claim so I can request my C&P exam via the FOIA.

• HadIt.com Elder

If I did not have a pill box I would not remember if I took my Meds or not. However I can remember what someone posted on Hadit 5 years ago. Who can figure.

During my C&P for mental halth I was told to do the serial 7's, in which someone counts down from 100 by 7's 100,93,86 and so on. I've always been good with numbers and made no attempt to lie. I counted all the way down to 2. I still maintained my 70% for depresion and was awarded IU T&P. I don't think they make their decision based soley on memory. I believe they can tell when someone is faking memory problems.

Pete I know exactly what you are talking about.

Edited by otey2171

My long term memory is fine, my short term memory is fine. Yet, often I can't remember things I used to know. But I know I still know it. And often I can't remember if I took my pills two minutes or was I just thinking of taking them? It's my working memory that is wacked out. All the information is there, but I can't get to it. When replying to a post I have to read the entire thread begining at the first post, even if I have made most of them, I have to re-read my own. I have to re-read while i'm typing also.

Oh, I agree with all posts. Don't worry about that test. It's the whole of the exam that counts.

Time