Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Examinations

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

Based upon all of the complaints and my own personal experiences I feel the VA is simply wasting millons upon millions per year on unnecessary examinations.

I feel that the only time a C&P examination is needed is in the case of original service connection determinations.

When a veteran wishes to file for an increase in his/her rating level the only requirement should be medical evidence by a qualified MD along with his request.

When a veteran is being followed by a medical expert for a medical condition and his doctor states that the condition has worsened based upon xyz (his opinion or test results) why in the hell should the VA pay a non-expert (NP or general doc) to spend 10 mins with the vet asking questions just to say yep it has gotten worse. All just a simple waste of tax money and valuable time.

Now if the VA finds fault with the medical evidence all they would have to do is tell the vet - "to support this claim for an increase your doctor must provide xyz or conduct test xys......." The vet then takes this to his doc and the doc either agrees or not (this happens in the claims process anyway).

Just think of the money that the VA could save in travel costs, testing and doc salaries.

I am developing a letter of recommendation for a change to send up the chain. Don't know if it will do any good or not but its worth a try.

Any comments ideals? I am not trying to put any extra cost or worry on the vet as I said this is done in most claims anyway.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Ricky,

I couldn't agree more with your stance. When I was in the 6 week PTSD inpatient program, my SS lawyer sent a form for my DR. to fill out. The Doctor did, and next thing I know my reconsideration for SSDI is granted based upon my VA doctors report.

When I filed for Voc Rehab a couple years ago, my General Practitioner at the VA, the one doc who sees me on a semi frequent basis, she had to fill out a functional ability form for the RO. My Doctor who sees me on a semi regular basis filled it out gladly and I was found ineligible for Voc Rehab.

Now when I went for a C&P for my back issues, the Dr. who looked at me for 10 minutes, totally screwed up my file, with his diagnosis. The Dr. had never seen me before,didn't bother to look at my file or records to check with the other Dr's diagnosis or opinion. Granted all it did was delay things, which I suppose is what the gov't wants, who cares if they have to pay over 50K in backpay, as long as they can prolong it, and keep it out of this years finances. I think they should redo the accounting, to say that if someone wins retro it goes back and is applied from the onset date. and retro out some of the payment and bonuses for the people that keep the numbers down. That would decrease the backload of cases quickly.

You can't have Dr's and their supervisors working on a bonus basis, because then they are truely not looking out for the best benefits of their patients. Only their bottom line.

I applaud your motion, maybe I can get behind it in a couple of months, right after the first of the year. I don't want to upset the VA or SS with my voice until I am paid for this year. Only slightly exxagerating here.

I would try and include something that says if they are going to make you go through another C and P that the doctor must be Board Certified and Lic in the state that the C and P is going to be done in. Most of these doctors are not certified or up to date like the requirements for a civ. doctor, That is why they are so old and make so many mistakes. they may have been good doctors at some point in life, but time has passed them by and they should not be performing exams in the first place.

• HadIt.com Elder

Think of the money the VA saves by using C&P exams to deny increased benefits. This is their shot at producing evidence to deny a claim. They are not going to give that up I think. They used to just not even provide the exam and deny claims based on what side of the bed the VARO got up on that day.

Ricky,

Pity your last name isn't Dole or Shannon. Your ideas are far better than theirs!

Seriously, I DO think your suggestion has merit and encourage you to write your letter. I agree with lipro about the board certification and I also wish there were a positive qualification that the doctor pass a test proving at least a 70% efficiency in being able to speak, read, and understand English. I have worked in academics before and there are some brilliant foreigners who read and understand our written language very well but do not speak it or understand the spoken word half as well. When you consider that a medical exam DEPENDS on the understanding and expression of the spoken word it seems down right out criminal to let someone who doesn't understand the nuances of our language to be writing reports of such weighty matters.

Keep us posted on what you write. You have some great ideas.

Thanks,

TS

Thanks guys. I am in the process of researching the laws on C/P exams and will draft a little as I research. I will let you know how it goes.

Edited by Ricky