Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Discrimination Of Older Vets

Rate this question

jan

Question

Hi

I would like to know why our claims are being shoved to the end of the line and the Iraqi

and Afgan troops are being pushed to the head of line. Are they just waiting for us to croak to

me this is discrimination. I did not go to war but I did volunteer for Viet Nam but couldn't go

since my brother was there at the same time. I have served my time in hell and now I'm waiting

for just cause. I feel slighted everytime I call to check on my claim. How many others are in my shoes? We are all supposed to be equal.

Jan

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

;) Bush & Nichelson came out with a directive last year that ALL Iraqi claims be done within 120 days. Anything else gets kicked to the curb. That is the way the VA is doing it. They are ALSO taking workers away from the other jobs (appeals, dependency issues etc) to make sure Iraq gets taken care of. I have Iraq claims done in two to four months max. Some in a month if the exams are done right after they file! These guys are due that but my personal feeling is they should go the route we had to and not get preference. I have WWII guys dying waiting for their exams and so on. Korea is also a lost cause, at least Vietnam are somewhat younger we can wait a year (if we do not have cancer). So blame Bush and Nickelson, not the VA because believe me they have their hands full trying to meet this directive. Q

bobbyq

• HadIt.com Elder

We're all in the same boat, folks. They are getting their claims handled quickly, but they're getting lo-balled just like the rest of us. At least the ones I've talked to lately. Remember, too, that one day they will be old vets, and there will no doubt be a war going on while these guys sit and wait. I'm not a Vietnam era vet, but a Gulf War era vet. These guys bump me outta the way, too. That doesn't diminish my respect for them, and there are some bad wounds coming out of that theatre. I feel bad for you older vets, but let's take it in stride and give these kids their due.

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder
We're all in the same boat, folks. They are getting their claims handled quickly, but they're getting lo-balled just like the rest of us. At least the ones I've talked to lately. Remember, too, that one day they will be old vets, and there will no doubt be a war going on while these guys sit and wait. I'm not a Vietnam era vet, but a Gulf War era vet. These guys bump me outta the way, too. That doesn't diminish my respect for them, and there are some bad wounds coming out of that theatre. I feel bad for you older vets, but let's take it in stride and give these kids their due.

I certainly respect each and every one of them.

I am 63 years of age, and finally acquired my own " Psychiatric Records" from the Archives, March 2004, where they have been laying silent since 1964.

The VA. not once in all of my filing bothered to secure these for me and now they are fighting me tooth and nail.

It is very difficult to go back 43 years in time and prove a claim for service connection.

Some respect from the VA towards me would be nice.

My thoughts,

Josephine

You'll should hear our excuses here in Louisiana. It was hurricane Katrina. I got a little angry

and told them in New Orleans that I do believe there was another one named Rita on my side of

the state that was forgotten and we cleaned up our own parishes and if they need help with

processing claims I'm sure we could get them some or go and help them ourselves. They made

no comment after that. My new DAV rep started on me with the hurricane. They will always

make excuses.

When I go the the VA in Alexandria I always look for an old WWll Vet to make sure he is

still kicking. I was a medic and I truly respect all of our Vets.

jan

• HadIt.com Elder
You'll should hear our excuses here in Louisiana. It was hurricane Katrina. I got a little angry

and told them in New Orleans that I do believe there was another one named Rita on my side of

the state that was forgotten and we cleaned up our own parishes and if they need help with

processing claims I'm sure we could get them some or go and help them ourselves. They made

no comment after that. My new DAV rep started on me with the hurricane. They will always

make excuses.

When I go the the VA in Alexandria I always look for an old WWll Vet to make sure he is

still kicking. I was a medic and I truly respect all of our Vets.

jan

We do have a lot in common, as I was a corpsman in the Navy. Are you speaking of Alexandria, Virginia, by any chance? If so more in common.

Always and thanks for the personal message.

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that the VA is working new claims first. At least that is what happened in WACO. I filed for HB Dec 22, 2006 it was granted April 10th. I asked for reconsideration in late April and I had a hearing Oct 18 and a decison on Oct 24th.

I plan to appeal the DRO decision and fully expect to wait for years like all the others. So my theory is that if your claim is in the VARO they will work it fairly quickly. If it is an Appeal its going to take awhile.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.