Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Copies Of Service Medical Records

Rate this question

oicclouds

Question

I must be search illiterate! I am helping another individual with his claim. We want a copy of his medical records while he was on active duty (marines). I get personal record requests in my searches, not medical records copies. Help!

BTW, I used Hadit several years ago and won 100% P & T for myself using this website! Don't forget if you win, make a donation to Hadit!!

Thanks! Vicki

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Vicki- go to:

http://www.archives.gov/ and click on Military Service Records.

The SF 180 Form will be there and you can make the request online- best to ask for Service Medical Records and sometimes even SRBs (Service Record Book) or personnel records too- depending on the type of claim.

The site will then ask you to print out a bar coded thing- the vet has to sign it, copy it, and then mail it to where they state.

That associates his signature with the request.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta,

Yep, that is the link.. also the form can be faxed in and if you wait 72 hours (I think it is) and call them you can verify if they got the signature form or not. Be prepared for long waits on hold.

Also make sure to request all inpatient and out patient record. And if you can specify treatment dates to include then that can help too. May take a couple of times to get them to cough up all the records.

Took me three times and a congresional inquiry and still haven't got all of them.

Go to Http://vetrecs.archives.gov/ and fill out the fillable form and send online and make sure you print copys,because you have sign one copy and fax it or mail it,this have to be done before vetrecs will release any information.Fax number 314-801-9049 and this is the address NPRC WEB 9700 page Avenue St.louis,MO. 63132-5100.You can alse go to www.va.gov/ and click on pension and compensation and click http://www.vetrecs,archives,gov/ and it will take you straight to vetrecs web-site. I hope this helps.

mobie

• In Memoriam

If he is an older Vet, and/or he has had a prior claim his records could be in his C-File already. Check out the C-File.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

agree with whats been posted..i was waiting for my SMR since june 18th and ,nothing,as of oct 1st..wrote Sen. Bill Nelson/Fla. and they arrived at my address on Oct 11th!! also got a e-mail says he has my records at his office, as of oct.28th. they sent them twice...lol Williamn

william