Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ship Records

Rate this question

wjack12412

Question

I am assisting my father in his claim with asbestiosis as well as many other service connected conditions and they are giving him such a run around. He filed his claim Oct 06, was told in June 07 that his claim was at the Rating Board. Called back about July 07 was told they were awaiting more medical evidence from his other doctors, he was able to have the doctor to mail him and VA the records. He called back a few weeks later was told that his claim was back at the Board and that he did not even need a C&P since he had so much information. Then he calls back Sept 07 he was told he needed a C&P and one was scheduled for him. He went to that appointment and waited a few weeks and then was told that he now needed a Pulmonary function exam(duh) so they had to reschedule him for that. He started calling back in Oct 07 and was told him process until last week he was told they are requesting proof that he was on all the ships he documented from the DOD. Now my question is can someone tell me where I can request this information is it the place in St. Louis so we can request the records for ourselves and give them to the VA so they can begin his process again. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It should be listed on his DD214. If he doesn't have a copy somewhere at home, maybe he filed it with the country clerk when he was discharged. If neither of those is the case, then you will have to go through St. Louis. If you go through St. Louis, be sure to get a copy of your father's Form 2A, also. If the DD214 doesn't have the info you need, the 2A will.

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

He must be working on an asbestos claim. Send me a list of the ships and an email address and I will send you a link to the actual crew list. If he doesnt feel like it here is a link. At the end of the link you need to type in the hull number. not ship name. IE as-37 www.navybuddies.com/crew.php?action=ship&ship=

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I am assisting my father in his claim with asbestiosis as well as many other service connected conditions and they are giving him such a run around. He filed his claim Oct 06, was told in June 07 that his claim was at the Rating Board. Called back about July 07 was told they were awaiting more medical evidence from his other doctors, he was able to have the doctor to mail him and VA the records. He called back a few weeks later was told that his claim was back at the Board and that he did not even need a C&P since he had so much information. Then he calls back Sept 07 he was told he needed a C&P and one was scheduled for him. He went to that appointment and waited a few weeks and then was told that he now needed a Pulmonary function exam(duh) so they had to reschedule him for that. He started calling back in Oct 07 and was told him process until last week he was told they are requesting proof that he was on all the ships he documented from the DOD. Now my question is can someone tell me where I can request this information is it the place in St. Louis so we can request the records for ourselves and give them to the VA so they can begin his process again. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

This is what I was told from a reliable source and I have no reason to doubt the source. I have never been that route though.

Suitland Maryland Navy ships archives is where you will find those records? First you must get permission from Washington Navy Yard Navy Archivist. This means trip to Washington Navy Yard Navy records which contains even more information for your case. A vet shouldn't be required to do this, especially when the VA has this info at their disposal and it is much easier for them to access and acquire and than the vet. That's why we need to change some of this run around authority given to the VA for delay. Again I was given this info. There maybe an easier way, I hope so. Have you done a search for any of his old ships on the INTERNET. Many have reunion sites and pages with much information on them.

Danang_1969

Good Luck and God Bless

He must be working on an asbestos claim. Send me a list of the ships and an email address and I will send you a link to the actual crew list. If he doesnt feel like it here is a link. At the end of the link you need to type in the hull number. not ship name. IE as-37 www.navybuddies.com/crew.php?action=ship&ship=

J

Yes, he is working on an asbestos claim and has been diagnosed with it so I am trying to get his records

USS OKLAHOMA CITY CLG 5 OCT1960-OCT61

USS CHARLES E. BRANNON DE 446 OCT 1961-SEP1962

USS JOSEPH STRAUSS DDG DEC1962-OCT1964

USS HOLLISTER DD 788 OCT1964-SEP1965

USS MCKEAN DD 784 SEP 1965-SEP 1968

• HadIt.com Elder

What was his Naval rating? We published the Navy pies list.

His records should show he was on board these ships. He can use the site to get Buddy statements to support his claim. Especially the Mckean. ( Several Folks were onboard when he was).

The information needs to say the condition of the steam pipe insulation,Was it tore? flaking, ect.What was the proximity to the steam pipes for sleeping, ect. Cover every angle.

Piping on those ships were insulated with African Amosite asbestos. If it gets airborne, It can be deadly.

Anyway he needs a buddy statement and aq nexus to go along with his claim. If he worked around asbestos after service, They VA may try to use it against him.

They are known to do this stuff.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.