VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Applied For Ss Disability Benefits.

Rate this question

luv2fly

Question

Hi......i was very recently awarded 100% P/T for PTSD so yesterday (Nov. 21st) i went to my local SS office and applied in person for benefits.You CAN apply online but eventually you'll need to see someone with a heart-beat anyway coz SS wants to see an original or certified copy of your birth certificate so i figured what the heck i'll just go and get it over with.The SS person you deal with makes up a file for you so bring any relevant/pertinent information you wish SS doctors to see in your SS file even before they contact VA and your doctors.They'll make copies of things you wish to submit but it's a faster process if you have your own copies in-hand as i did upon arrival at SS.They ask detailed questions like "what are the side-effects" of each of the meds you take and not just which meds you take so be prepared for that.The gal at SS that took my info and made up my file was kinda crafty sorta like trying to catch me in some sort of lie or deception by asking me if VA had offered me any sort of vocational rehab even tho i'd already told her twice in less than 5 minutes i was VA rated P/T, but i kept patience thru it all and got finished in about an hour with all the questions she threw at me.I also signed 5 release forms for VA and doctors to give SS my personal records.

Afterwards i was told by the same gal that SS takes between 4 and 5 months to render a decision and and that SS does NOT pay me for the first 6 months of disability so no retroactive $$ there.Good luck to all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!! David

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

David you may have some retro active bucks cause they don't pay for 5 months from the time you last worked and will go back up to a year at the first level.

Good Luck on your claim. After 2 years you get Medicare from the date of disability.

Hi Pete......thanks for the reply and Happy Thanksgiving to you,your family,and friends!

SS told me they don't pay the first six (6) months from my last day of work which was 26 October which means my first SS disability payment would arrive on 1 May '06.Again,this is what SS told me plus it would take 4 to 5 months for a decision,but its usually 4 months.Pete,it's my understanding that 65 or 70 per cent

of initial claims are rejected by SS,but i sure gave 'em lots of psych reports,etc,so now it's a waiting game as per usual.Good luck! David

David you may have some retro active bucks cause they don't pay for 5 months from the time you last worked and will go back up to a year at the first level.

Good Luck on your claim. After 2 years you get Medicare from the date of disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

Keep your fingers crossed cuase the exception to this is when you have plenty of records that demonstrate your claim and just getting your VA Claim approved really helps.

Keep your fingers crossed cuase the exception to this is when you have plenty of records that demonstrate your claim and just getting your VA Claim approved really helps.

dont expect to get approved so quick i have the same thing and applied June 2004 and still waiting for court date

Hello fellow vets!

Unfortunately, I am 100% rated since 2001. Only recently I found out I am eligible for SS disability. I've been reading all of the posts pertaining to this matter, and please forgive me for asking again.

1- Do I qualify for SS disability? I worked into it, and have become unable to work since I applied for VA comp.

2- Will my VA monthly be deducted in the amount of the SS check, if I qualified ?

3- I know I cannot workfor earned income. But, can I invest in the stock market? And will this affect my VA comp when I file unearned income from profits in the stock market?

All comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

SSD and VA Disability do not offset each other. Many on Hadit get both. You might consider finding a lawyer cause only an Administrative Judge can backpay more than a year. Good Luck