Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Adhd And Ptsd

Guest newbie

Question

Hello,

Great site, I have been looking off and on for about a year for a site where vets can actually post questions and get answers from actual people. Just wanted to say thanks.

Well, I have several problems I never talk to anyone about and everything has finally built up to a point where I feel completely stuck. I'm not asking for mental help here, I'll probably check myself in the hospital in a day or two. I guess I'm mostly writing this because I have no one to really talk to. I have family but I have the usual problems people have when it comes to talking to family (at least I think they are common problems).

Anyway, I got back from Iraq about 2 years ago, and got discharged from the army about 1 year ago. While in the army, and prior to any combat, I was diagnosed with ADHD. The past couple weeks I have finally admitted to myself that I have PTSD. ADHD has many syptoms similar to PTSD, so I felt I couldn't honestly say I had more problems stemming from combat.

I never did a lot of the things I should have when I was getting out of the army. No physical, I went to the minimum amount of "classes" (I can't rember the correct term right now) for "civilianizing" myself (just what was required to get my paperwork signed). When I was out I almost immediatelly began going to school, and being out of Dexadrine (for ADHD) I went and signed up for my VA benfits (2 years medical care).

The reason I never really considered PTSD is because Nightmares, mild depression, social anxiety, and stress are all symptoms of ADHD as well. Also, I had saved enough money that I would not have to work for quite a while, after I started school. Of course my problems slowly got worse and I only realized my REAL problems lately. I could see the habits I had that were not good, like staying inside all the time, not going anywhere, low self-esteem. I would go see the Physchiatrist about once a month, she wanted me to come in more often the past two months but I haven't even been in for that long. Being able to articulate well what my problems were, my phsychiatrist stopped bringing up PTSD as a cause of my problems after the first few visits.

So here I am now, I have no friends, stopped going to school about 3 weeks after this semester began, and of course I let my meds run out completely. I've been ordering pizza and getting fast food from the drive through for the past two weeks. I try to sleep as much as possible every day, without meds I usually wake from a nightmre every time though.

I did speak with my sister about things yesterday and today. I should mention I live very far from my family so it's not like I see them often. Actually, I haven't seen them in almost a year. When I spoke to my sister yesterday I just felt miserable and had that feeling that when I was talking to her I was just being childish. Today I was able to see myself from more of an objective standpoint and I spoke to her again and now feel I may have PTSD. Looking back at the past two years, seeing how I have been living, it's almost funny that I thought I was OK.

I have rarely gone out in public, only went out to eat or really do anything when My roomate was going out. I have just kept myself locked up and hid from my problems in front of this compter (I am obsessed with knowing as much as I can about computers). So, my car has so many problems I can't drive it very far at all, about 2 or 3 blocks is the limit I set so it doesn't completely break down. I have distanced myself so much from everything I have no one to talk to or ask for help

I know I should go to the hospital, I'm just not quite ready yet. Tommorow's Thanksgiving and I'll be eating cold pizza, so maybe I'll go sometime this weekend. Again, I am not asking for help, I just needed to write this somewhere where people who understand how I feel can read it. I have to re-iterate that I'm not looking to discuss my problems, I know and understand that I need help from a doctor.

Thanks to anyone who read this long-winded meaningless banter of mine. :)

It would be nice to hear what people who have filed PTSD claims have recieved, and what I could possibly be entitled too.

I know everyone's case is different and no one will be able to tell me what I may be eligible for. It would be interesting to see what other people are recieving in comparison with their syptoms. Kind of an unofficial poll I guess.

Finally, thanks again to anyone who read this, sorry it was so long. I do feel better after typing all that, now I'm off to the couch where my phone is to order pizza.

:lol:

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Hello,

Great site, I have been looking off and on for about a year for a site where vets can actually post questions and get answers from actual people. Just wanted to say thanks.

Well, I have several problems I never talk to anyone about and everything has finally built up to a point where I feel completely stuck. I'm not asking for mental help here, I'll probably check myself in the hospital in a day or two. I guess I'm mostly writing this because I have no one to really talk to. I have family but I have the usual problems people have when it comes to talking to family (at least I think they are common problems).

Anyway, I got back from Iraq about 2 years ago, and got discharged from the army about 1 year ago. While in the army, and prior to any combat, I was diagnosed with ADHD. The past couple weeks I have finally admitted to myself that I have PTSD. ADHD has many syptoms similar to PTSD, so I felt I couldn't honestly say I had more problems stemming from combat.

I never did a lot of the things I should have when I was getting out of the army. No physical, I went to the minimum amount of "classes" (I can't rember the correct term right now) for "civilianizing" myself (just what was required to get my paperwork signed). When I was out I almost immediatelly began going to school, and being out of Dexadrine (for ADHD) I went and signed up for my VA benfits (2 years medical care).

The reason I never really considered PTSD is because Nightmares, mild depression, social anxiety, and stress are all symptoms of ADHD as well. Also, I had saved enough money that I would not have to work for quite a while, after I started school. Of course my problems slowly got worse and I only realized my REAL problems lately. I could see the habits I had that were not good, like staying inside all the time, not going anywhere, low self-esteem. I would go see the Physchiatrist about once a month, she wanted me to come in more often the past two months but I haven't even been in for that long. Being able to articulate well what my problems were, my phsychiatrist stopped bringing up PTSD as a cause of my problems after the first few visits.

So here I am now, I have no friends, stopped going to school about 3 weeks after this semester began, and of course I let my meds run out completely. I've been ordering pizza and getting fast food from the drive through for the past two weeks. I try to sleep as much as possible every day, without meds I usually wake from a nightmre every time though.

I did speak with my sister about things yesterday and today. I should mention I live very far from my family so it's not like I see them often. Actually, I haven't seen them in almost a year. When I spoke to my sister yesterday I just felt miserable and had that feeling that when I was talking to her I was just being childish. Today I was able to see myself from more of an objective standpoint and I spoke to her again and now feel I may have PTSD. Looking back at the past two years, seeing how I have been living, it's almost funny that I thought I was OK.

I have rarely gone out in public, only went out to eat or really do anything when My roomate was going out. I have just kept myself locked up and hid from my problems in front of this compter (I am obsessed with knowing as much as I can about computers). So, my car has so many problems I can't drive it very far at all, about 2 or 3 blocks is the limit I set so it doesn't completely break down. I have distanced myself so much from everything I have no one to talk to or ask for help

I know I should go to the hospital, I'm just not quite ready yet. Tommorow's Thanksgiving and I'll be eating cold pizza, so maybe I'll go sometime this weekend. Again, I am not asking for help, I just needed to write this somewhere where people who understand how I feel can read it. I have to re-iterate that I'm not looking to discuss my problems, I know and understand that I need help from a doctor.

Thanks to anyone who read this long-winded meaningless banter of mine. :)

It would be nice to hear what people who have filed PTSD claims have recieved, and what I could possibly be entitled too.

I know everyone's case is different and no one will be able to tell me what I may be eligible for. It would be interesting to see what other people are recieving in comparison with their syptoms. Kind of an unofficial poll I guess.

Finally, thanks again to anyone who read this, sorry it was so long. I do feel better after typing all that, now I'm off to the couch where my phone is to order pizza.

:lol:

:P I was discharged in 1967 and didn't seek ant treatment for PTSD until 1992. I kept thinking I was just depressed; please don't wait long. Jim

• Community Admin/Founder

we hear you brother, many of us have been there, some of us are there with you now. try a vet center for a counselor i think they are the best and hope that you have a good one near you. just remember don't underestimate the power of ptsd, it's powerful and you must fight it to get the help you need.

Hello,

Thanks to anyone who read this long-winded meaningless banter of mine. B)

:blink: