Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which Service Organization?

Rate this question

ZenofNow

Question

I just got back in touch with an old Navy buddy who is still having trouble with a shoulder injury he sustained while in service back in 1984. He had no idea that he might have VA benefits available.

The DAV did a good job helping me, has anyone had success with VFW or other organizations?

Is there one in particular that is considered the best? :rolleyes:

VeteransDepot.com, offers over 200,000 deeply discounted name brand products including sporting goods, electronics, gourmet coffee & tea, appliances, furniture, and office supplies at discounted prices. From a Veteran, for Veterans.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"Is there one in particular that is considered the best?"

If we knew that answer we would all be on their POA :rolleyes:

They all have good reps and bad ones- if he is comfortable with whoever he gets- and they seem willing to fight his claim-it doesnt matter what org he is with- I personally think it is good idea to get one who has offices right in or near the VARO he deals with.

He should make sure he has his SMRs to show the VA that this was documented during his service.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you find someone who doid good by you than by all means use them for your friend. I like the State Veterans Officers. PV and VVA. More or less in that order.

"Is there one in particular that is considered the best?" -- ZenofNow

No.

As others have said, it depends on the INDIVIDUAL SO, not really the VSO he belongs to.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

just one's opinion...i had the FDVA out of ST.Pete,Fla.[for NSC pension] their under the same roof as the Regional Office[one stop shopping]. every time i tried to call her, her voice mail box was full, could'nt leave a message,sooo i did the footwork. i am now going with VFW, on SC.. regards, William n

Edited by williamn

SO's rarely call you back. I think educating yourself and filing your own claim is the way to go,

(for me at least).

Here's your study info.

38 CFR Part - 3 Adjudication

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.4&idno=38

38 CFR Part - 4 Schedule of Rating Disabilities

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...1.5&idno=38

M21-1MR

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/M21_1MR.html

I agree with Pete - if a VSO helped you - send your friend there.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie hit it on the head. The best one to take care of a veteran is the veteran. We are the ones that must sit and take the trip down memory lane to recollect what injuries were incurred and try to find supporting info. in our medical records. It may even be a situation especially with combat and accident injuries) where a letter from a buddy or relative may do the trick. About the only thing I've known any of the "veteran organizations" to do well is to look at the claim and make suggestions. Also let your friend know that it's imperative to submit as much pertinant supporting documentation the first go-around or it will delay claim processing even more.