Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Hearts

Rate this question

Spanky

Question

My husband received 3 purple hearts and 2 bronze stars, 1 with Valor while serving in Vietnam. Along with the certificates for the award of bronze star, he has citations telling what the bronze stars are for. He also has copies of the orders. For all 3 of his purple hearts, all he has is the certificate and copies of the orders - there is no citation explaining what the purple heart was awarded for. He says he never received a citation, but his VSO is telling him he should have it. We've searched all of his old army records and there just is nothing and he has all of his paperwork. I've requested his personnel records and there was no citation received. Were citations issued with purple hearts?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Do the PHs appear on his DD 214?

If so I dont know know why the rep would need the citation unless to clearly support this as to the details for confirmation of a stressor-for any VA claims purpose-

still a PH is a confirmed stressor anyhow-

It would be good to have the citations however- has he obtained his complete service records to include his SMRS? The treatment he received for the injuries that caused the PHs awards ,might well show where, when, and why-his service record book might even contain the citation-or the order to award it to him.

His unit history might be on the web and maybe that could help here-

I am baffled why the vet rep would need the citations.

Sorry- couldnt read the whole post you made when I answered- lots of net problems today due to snow-

I suggest he try to reach his Commanding Officer-who would have signed the PH orders.

Or perhaps he should file a DD 149 form and get the NARA to look for the citation-

others will suggest something else-

Are the PHs on his DD 214?

• HadIt.com Elder

My Dad was awarded a purple heart in WWII and also a Bronze Star. The Purple Heart merely had an order awarding it and the Bronze Star had a citation.My Dad also had PTSD that was never treated. He never talked about his service but will tell us stories about other things.

The Purple Heart should be noted on his DD 214 and that should be enough.

Good Luck and thank you for helping your Vet

• HadIt.com Elder

I do not believe the PH came with a citation. You were wounded while in direct contact with an armed enemy, there was nothing to cite. It's not like most other medals where are reason must be cited.

EDIT:

Purple Heart Myths

A citation is always written for PH awards. Not true. Citations are very rarely written for PH awards.

<li> A display certificate is always issued for PH awards. Not true. Although Display Certificates are authorized, the military has never been obligated/required by Congress to issue a display certificate. Neither is the PH recipient due a display certificate. Display certificates issued to active duty personnel occurs only when the local command possesses certificates to issue. (Prior to 1995 the government was not required to issue a full-sized medal.) The only military display certificate required by Congress for mandatory issue is Medal of Honor. (For info on the PH replacement recognition, see this page: http://www.amervets.com/replacement/ph.htm)

Edited by rentalguy1

You guys are right- I remembered a friend of mine with GSW and big scar on his arm.No PH on his DD 214-

He and his cousin were the only 2 Vietnam vets to come home to Honolulu alive during his service period.

He hesitated about filing a DD 149 because he did go back into combat and he said the wound residuals didnt bother him at all.But finally he did send in a DD 149-and the DD 215 had the PH and no other info about it, as well as another award he didnt know he got.