VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opinions On Ltr To Support Claim

Rate this question

ruby

Question

Trying to make this usable for both SSA and VA any opinions would be nice, do you think it covers both service connect (active 75-78) and depression due to condition.

I am writing this letter on behalf of my patient xxxxx. I first saw xxxx in 1983-1986, then from 2005 to present.

Ms xxxx symptoms have been steadily increasing in magnitude since 1977 when it was noted she had reactive arthritis in her sacroiliac joints, xxxx has progressively worsen over the past 2 years. It is my opinion the arthritis in all joints Ms xxxx suffers from is related. I would consider her to be permanently and totally disabled due to her arthritis as dictated in my notes.

Due to the magnitude, scope and complexity of this patient’s condition it is unreasonable at this time to expect that she will be able to work at any time in the near or distant future. At best, medication can only decrease the rate of progression in this chronic arthritic disease. In my opinion, this patient would be a liability to any employer, and would be unable to sustain gainful employment of any sort, due to her physical, mental emotional and psychological limitations.

I have included a residual functional capacity form to help further assist you in your evaluation of her claim

Sincerley,

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ricky;

From 78-86 when I got out of the service I was seen by the VA for low back and leg pain, even hospitalized for the pain and a repeat myelogram was done. Findings were normal with the exception of SI joint narrowing. The medication they had me on worked but they took it off the formulary. I didn't want to take the substitute drug so I went back to motrin. Had a fight with a doc concerning another issue. I just walked away from the VA and never went back.

From 1986 to 2005. I only saw one doctor on a rare occasion but I hadn't seen him in 7 yrs and all his records were destroyed in 2002. He destoys them after 3 yrs. of not seeing a patient.

I have treated myself, if I needed anything being a nurse I could get it from a doc I knew, but there are no records of this. I had one inject my elbow free on 4 occasions, no notes, just doing me a favor so I could work.

I knew that there really is nothing they can do for my arthritis so running to a doc is a pain in the arse and just putting money in his pocket to tell me try this drug. My asthma I had to get letters from friends and family that said she borrowed my inhalers or nebulizer. However over the past 3 years I was seen in the ER for severe attacks and 3 times in the VA ER within a couple of months so they increase the asthma to 30%. They increased the neck arthritis to 20%. It was the comp doc who said you need to get the rest of your joints rated as residuals, I am amazed you can still walk. He even had someone help me- guide me on where to go to apply for residuals.

I have a rep but he doesn't seem to be interested enough to offer information on what and how to do something, I pretty much have done all this on my own.

Thanks for your reply.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruby

I think that is a good letter for service connection. Your doc says you are P&T as well, and that should be good evidence for the VA raters. That is good evidence for the SSA as well. The SSA may want you to take an exam from one of their doctors. When the VA doctor spells it out for SC that is what you want.

• HadIt.com Elder

The problem is that when you write a letter for a Doctor it is pretty much not ethical for them to copy it. You could say its a suggestion cause that is the kind of letter needed for VA and Social Security but the Doctor I am sure will have their own input.

Perhaps a checklist of what is needed and let them write the letter?

Best of Luck

The problem is that when you write a letter for a Doctor it is pretty much not ethical for them to copy it. You could say its a suggestion cause that is the kind of letter needed for VA and Social Security but the Doctor I am sure will have their own input.

Perhaps a checklist of what is needed and let them write the letter?

Best of Luck

Pete,

What I have found with most Dr's if they don't get paid for it they don't do it. This clinic runs short on help everyday, if I had ask for him to take the time to compose the letter and send it to me, I never would have gotten it.

In order to get a physician to sign anything they don't get paid to do, you must do the work for them and say here it is. If it doesn't fly then they will have to get something from him directly which means I am screwed and so are other patients waiting for a doc to do anything without compensation.

I typed the facts and took my SMR for him to review, he read what I wrote (based on his previous notes) and agreed to sign it. The verbabe I used is what I understand needs to be said to show cause and effect for the VA and SSD.

Thanks for your input but I hope your wrong.

Ruby

I think that is a good letter for service connection. Your doc says you are P&T as well, and that should be good evidence for the VA raters. That is good evidence for the SSA as well. The SSA may want you to take an exam from one of their doctors. When the VA doctor spells it out for SC that is what you want.

John,

I sure hope your right and Pete is wrong.

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruby:

I hope that I am wrong since you already did it I was in your case. I guess I have to high a regard for Doctors.