Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C Files

Rate this question

ruby

Question

When I ask for a copy of my C files, how to I ask for all C files including the original ones from 85.

I want copies of everything VARO has in thier possession. Any special way to ask for it.

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder
When I ask for a copy of my C files, how to I ask for all C files including the original ones from 85.

I want copies of everything VARO has in thier possession. Any special way to ask for it.

Thanks

Records C-File

We can not stress enough how important it is to

View your claims folder at the regional office call 1-800-827-1000 and request an appointment to view your c-file (claims folder).

Ensure that all the records in your C-File are yours.

Check that everything you have sent to the VA is included in your C-File.

After viewing your claims folder (c-file) and correcting any mistakes you may find. Then request a hard copy of your claims folder.

To request your military records use this form Request for Military Records NARA SF 180

To request your C-File which is your claims folder at the regional veteran affairs office use VA Form 3288 Technically any release or waiver from that is signed by the claimant and that properly compiles with and cites the Privacy Act and FOIA is sufficient. However VA personnel are familiar with the VA Form 3288 so it will cause the least confusion.

The 1973 Fire at NPRC

On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at NPRC (MPR) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files. The affected record collections are described below.

Branch Personnel and Period Affected Estimated Loss

Army Personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960 80%

Air Force Personnel discharged, September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964

(with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)

75%

No duplicate copies of the records that were destroyed in the fire were maintained, nor was a microfilm copy ever produced. There were no indexes created prior to the fire. In addition, millions of documents had been lent to the Department of Veterans Affairs before the fire occurred. Therefore, a complete listing of the records that were lost is not available. Nevertheless, NPRC (MPR) uses many alternate sources in its efforts to reconstruct basic service information to respond to requests.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Do I call and make an appointment or just CMMR for a complete file.

I obtained my SMR's a few months ago, I supposely have everything but the VARO stated they used my discharge physical to grant and deny SC. The records from my SMR says they are missing and I remember them telling me they were missing when I was discharged.

We've been trying to get copies of my husband's temporary claims file at the VARO since last July. We've sent a couple of certified letters, plus we have a chain of IRIS responses saying they're basically getting to it, and a VSR may have to contact my husband. No VSR response, no file.

We shot a letter off to the VAOGC in Washington yesterday, saying that the VARO is violating my husband's FOIA rights, and hampering his ability to defend his disability claims.

My point is that certified letters requesting your files under FOIA may be ignored, and that you may have to press it in writing with the OGC. Expect it, don't be surprised, and don't wait as long as we did trying to be reasonably patient.

FOIA means nothing to many of these VARO's.

Guest jangrin

Ruby, The following was our experience regarding the C-file.

Some VARO's require you make an appointment to see the C-File, some don't. I would call your VARO and ask.

If at all possible, go to the VARO and look at your FILE. They will have a claims assistant stay with you in a private area while you browse through the file. They may even make a few copies of pages that you may want to take with you.

When you are through looking at the file.... tell the clerk or assistant that you are requesting your "first" no- charge copy of the entire C-File and ask her to provide the proper form while you are there. She will aid you in filling out the proper form and make sure the request gets to the team that does the copies.

The form will be the FOIA form. However, although they have 30 days to comply with the request, within 30 days, you will get a letter from the VA that acknowledges your request and that they are working on it. Be prepared for it to take MORE than 30 days. It is more likely to take 6 to 12 weeks from the time you recieve the VA acknowledgement letter.

If your file is being actively "worked" by one of the teams, "pre", "post", "rating", "appeals", it is not likely the file will be pulled from the team to make copies. It is more likely the file will stay with the department where work is bing done. Then when the work is completed it will be moved to complete the next job... ie "being readied for copying".

It is always best to use the VA FORMS. They trigger an official response. If you cannot go to the VARO, then call the 800 number and ask they mail your the form or fax it to you, or go to the VA web site (forms) section and down load the form, fill it out and send it in. The process is still the same but add a week or two for the form to make it's way from the mail room to whatever department had the file.

I hope this helps. :D

• HadIt.com Elder

Jan and Chuckels:

Nice to see you posting again. Do you feel like you are a Texan yet?

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.