• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

Guest tinchord

Question

Guest tinchord

Hello!

With good intention, my DAV counselor strongly suggested I submit a claim for PTSD. When she breached certain topics, I could not hide my hands shaking and tears. She then directed me to a counselor for PTSD and that counselor directed me to a place for official diagnoses. Now, the VA has requested information and I literally, cannot find the strength to go to the psychologist the VA mental health counselor referred me to, write the letter to the VA explaining the events, and can't find the strength to step aside and do this without horrific embarrassment and pain. I am horrified to tell anyone, let alone, send it to VA-land. I did however reply on one of their forms, that I apologize for their inconvenience, but request the claim be dropped because I am not willing to do what is needed for treatment or diagnoses or to deal with this. Though I have had countless nightmares and acquired a taste for alcohol on regular occassion in hopes to deal without anyone knowing, I already submitted the claim. I am familiar with PTSD and it does seem I am contending with it, but I can't progress via the VA. Will they allow me to just drop it since I stated I was not prepared to deal with these problems?

Lastly, I submitted this claim at the same time I appealed asthma. I did this in April 2007 and have not gotten any confirmation but continual requests for information regarding my PTSD claim despite my request. Could this be what is holdong up their reply for both claim and appeal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

mac/tinchord

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Tinchord,

I echo all the other posts. 1st and foremost get the needed help. The claim stuff can come later. As with ther others I am here to help in any way I can. The members on Hadit have helped me immensely. They have helped me navigate the VA system seemingly with ease. You can send me a message anytime and I will reply the same day. I am on this site at least 3 times a day. DJ8

• HadIt.com Elder
Greetings ALL!

I am floored, your replies. I didn't think anyone would really even notice my post, let alone, offer such support and hope and met compassion.

Thank you so very much.

My apologies for causing any sad emotions. I neglected to consider that anyone else might read and interpret a pain seeming consolidated within my own. I hope I might have the opportunity to return your empathy and offer encouragement.

It's "difficult to see the forest through the trees", indeed. Thank you for you perspective. It's an unusual experience when you have a revelation where you thought none were. ...your replies, be it personal or posted have offered me this. Thank you.

I don't know how to convey the emotion of simply being heard, but you have given me that within a safe network in a time when I'm not even sure if what I'm going through is worth expressing. Thank you for not invalidating what I'm going through. I seem to have done enough of that to myself and this is the revelation your compassion has shown me. Rather, you listened and didn't judge me. That means more than anything I know how to articulate and has given me some ground to begin to stand.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

mac

Mac,

We or someone is on this site pretty much 24-7 and just post and we

will be right here for you.

I am glad to see you back on line. I sent you a Personal Message and

hope that you read it.

We are here to help in anyway we can.

If it is just for a pick me up , a good laugh, a claims question, and

we welcome new members with an open heart.

These guys and gals have came to my rescue.

When you read the post going on right now, look at all of my

supporters, so either way, I can't loose.

I will always have my friends, if I never win this claim.

Do get some help, or hang around we have some pretty wise people on

the site.

We are not here to Judge.

Take Care and God Bless for coming back in,

Betty

• HadIt.com Elder

Mac, yes, first things first. Claims can be taken care of over time. So grab a candy bar, go see a counselor and reward yourself afterwards with a walk in the park. Fresh air clears the mind, chocolate is good for the soul and sunshine is vitamin D!

I see as well as hear what you have written, I feel for you. I do believe you understand there is support for lifes experiences. It took alot for you to sign onto Hadit and share your concerns. Honestly, each of us has a story, of how fast or slow life was when we had to ask for help. I am sure there isn't enough space for each of us to detail it out here but we do break through and share when needed. You probably know as a veteran, we live, we hurt, we laugh, we cry, we walk, we crawl and though it doesnt necessarily show in our faces, we have gone through events that our lips may never be able to tell of. Then we carry on, changed, but more in control of our self than ever.

The most important thing is something you know, its what you have to find for you.

I'll tell you that once I was in a fog, going through paces, going from place to place just not getting anywhere. It was hard to ask for help, but after I did through a trusted counselor, I certainly wasnt alone in the group searching for answers. I heard othes personal stories, but can't recall them, just that I needed to find 'me' again, because I had changed.

Truly, it took awhile to break through, but then I found a different confidence than before, actually a refreshed self knowing that I had made it through a major life hurdle.

You earned your healthcare and have clear access, so thats important. Your turn.

Best thoughts to ya, CG

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Hello!

With good intention, my DAV counselor strongly suggested I submit a claim for PTSD. When she breached certain topics, I could not hide my hands shaking and tears. She then directed me to a counselor for PTSD and that counselor directed me to a place for official diagnoses. Now, the VA has requested information and I literally, cannot find the strength to go to the psychologist the VA mental health counselor referred me to, write the letter to the VA explaining the events, and can't find the strength to step aside and do this without horrific embarrassment and pain. I am horrified to tell anyone, let alone, send it to VA-land. I did however reply on one of their forms, that I apologize for their inconvenience, but request the claim be dropped because I am not willing to do what is needed for treatment or diagnoses or to deal with this. Though I have had countless nightmares and acquired a taste for alcohol on regular occassion in hopes to deal without anyone knowing, I already submitted the claim. I am familiar with PTSD and it does seem I am contending with it, but I can't progress via the VA. Will they allow me to just drop it since I stated I was not prepared to deal with these problems?

Lastly, I submitted this claim at the same time I appealed asthma. I did this in April 2007 and have not gotten any confirmation but continual requests for information regarding my PTSD claim despite my request. Could this be what is holdong up their reply for both claim and appeal?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

mac/tinchord

Mac/tinchord here....

I don't know if anyone noticed me coming or going, but here I am again. I tried to end it all this past Thursday.....did you know an entire bottle of zanax or a 6 pack of beer doesnt do it? So here I am still today.....

NO NEVER!! You need some help. No matter how had it is or how hard it gets that is not the answer. It has been VERY difficult for those with PTSD and other psych problems to come forward and tell the va the problems evident and the suffering endured. We never get over it but learn how to try and deal with it. Somedays are ok and some are bad. The choice you made "this past Thursday" was not the only choice you made. It didn't work as you may have thought it would, and now you are here. The choice you made to tell it here is the way and the outcome needed to let others help you!

It is hard, really hard, no very difficult to tell someone details of a horriffic event in one's life that has changed the person forever. But there comes a time to say "I am tired of hurting, or feeling this way, I need help, I can't handle it alone."

You are service connected, so you need to go to the VA and talk to someone in behavioral health. There is no shame in seeking help with your problems, and there is no one who will judge you. The shame is not getting help. The help is out there, grab onto it. Do not try to wallow in self pity...the choice is to live. The choice is to fight to live!

Mac/tinchord here....

I don't know if anyone noticed me coming or going, but here I am again. I tried to end it all this past Thursday.....did you know an entire bottle of zanax or a 6 pack of beer doesnt do it? So here I am still today.....