Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Percentage Reconsideration

Rate this topic

danang_1969

Thanks for all the replies and input. I still haven't heard anything from them about where my recon is. I need to call and check. It stalled out a couple of weeks ago because they told me it was sent to the appeals team at the RO and then I found it really wasn't. They have told me that again that it was sent to the Appeals Team, hope so. I will call this week and get a report. I just hope the appeals team has all the info I sent in. GAf dropped from 45 to 32. SS records disabled since 03 and have not worked but no TDUI yet. Applied for TDUI again and filled out 4 forms and sent them too. As I heard others say. 100% should be a slam dunk but it should have been the first time. Also ask for earlier effective date on SC.

Danang_1969

Edited by danang_1969

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have talked with the RO office and they tell me that a reconsideration and a NOD is basically the same thing and they are sending me the letter to tell me what else they need. They are also sending me an update on my c-file since my last copy and much has been added since then. The fact a reconsideration and a NOD was the same was news to me. Is this right? I definitely have new much evidence to send to the VA and private IMO that shows my PTSD is much more severe than rated for and this should give me much more percentage and possible 100% or least 80-90 on several different conditions and TDUI should be no problem with the new evidence. Just a matter of getting everything into place and them looking at it and making a decision.

I also have 2 other appeals.They split my claim when they gave me the 30% rating which complicated everything. I'm sure they had a reason that was not in my best interest when they split the claim. My GAF score has dropped from 45 to 32 which should help on the increase in percentage and with that increase I am asking for the other 9 years of retro that they ignored in the initial rating. I know they have the records where I filed for PTSD in 1997 and the only reason I wasn't rated then was their unwillingness to give me treatment or a C&P exam because they were not looking at my military record close enough to distinguish that I had my feet on the ground for a year and was only looking at blue water service prior to that. They finally gave that information away in a denial and I filed a NOD explaining the error. They still haven't acknowledged the mistake or accepted responsibility for it other than the 30% rating for 1 year. We will see what happens.

In the mean time I have been making a copy of all my records and putting them in a safe deposit box should I go on the be with the Lord and my wife will have the info to finish this deal. I would really love to stay around and see it to the end but myself like all don't get to make that call but one with much more power. I pray he will grant me that request.

Danang_1969

Got a generic answer from the RO that my recon request, request for TDUI and 2 more additional claims are with the appeals team now. I guess it is wait and see. Hoping and praying that I will be able to make a positive post on Success stories soon.

Danang_1969

• 2 months later...
Hi Roivett,

Good luck with the reconsideration. I look forward to learning how this works out for you.

Ron

Thanks Manitou. I received notification that I was granted PTSD increase to 70% and TDIU (100%) retro to my last date worked in 2007. The process took 2 ontha and three weeks (Feb. 2, 2008 to April 22, 2008) under "reconsideration". Permanent and Total was not established at this time. On April 21, 2008 I submitted a letter from the PTSD Program Director at VAMC noting my condition and citing my prognosis as "poor with little chance of significant improvement". I do not think this letter had time to be involved in the TDIU decision. I am very pleased to have the TDIU granted. I am not sure how to go about getting someone at the RO to read the recent letter indicating " prognosis poor". It seems that the letter is in limbo, caught between the rater located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and the Post-Determination Team located in Montgomery, Alabama. Any suggestions?

"Berta, your post got my attention because McDonough is the former director of the DOC in FL. He's a straight arrow through and through"

I missed this older post- I sure hope he is-

And being a Lt Col. he might well be able to start some butt kicking here in NY.

I think he was unaware of my situation with NYSDVA- but just to make sure I informed him last week as well as our new Governor-

and I informed Deputy Sec. Gordon Mansfield.

Roivett -this is GREAT NEWS!!!!

A reconsideration request sure can make things move fast-

sometimes-

if they are prepared right- they can get a fast decision.

"It seems that the letter is in limbo, caught between the rater located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and the Post-Determination Team located in Montgomery, Alabama. Any suggestions?"

You could resend it to each of them and put attention Post Determination Team on one and then to the initials at right hand corner of the award letter on the other one.

Good for you- you certainly did a great job and are closer to the P & T as well-

you did the leg work it takes-

this is wonderful news!

Thanks Berta for the encouraging words. I will make some calls monday am to several folks at DAV and VA to see if I can get them to look at the added evidence I submitted on the day BEFORE they made their reconsideration. What I have in hand so far is the letter from DAV stating their review of the recent VA decision. I will likely receive the official notification sometime this upcomming week. The DAV letter was mailed from St. Petersberg, FL on 4/22/08. I will call Florida to see if I can contact the VSO that signed the letter. My guess, however, is that the chart has already been forwarded to Montgomery for Post-Determination. I might even drive to Montgomery on Tuesday AM (3 1/2 hrs away) to try to get someone to look at the added evidence. It would be nice to have the P&T added now rather than have to juggle with another reconsideration or Appeal. I have to admit that I was pretty shocked to get a decision as soon as I did, 2 1/2 months). Especially considering that on Monday 4/21/08 I was advised by the DAV rep in Montgomery that my case was still in "Development and usually runs about six months". Obviously that information was incorrect.

Berta, I have been following some of your posts for a large portion of my journey through the VA system ( 18 months) and have been bouyed and encouraged by your straightforward suggestions and the encouragement you give to so many of us. Thanks again.

Roy

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use