Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Percentage Reconsideration

Rate this topic

danang_1969

"The fact a reconsideration and a NOD was the same was news to me. Is this right"

Not in my opinion-

I feel a reconsideration is in order for when the RO has made an error so obvious that it would be unfair to make the vet wait until they even get to a NOD-

Then again some reconsideration requests move as slowly as a NOD can-

A reconsideration request can sometimes bring about a faster proper decision-but it does not replace the fact that a formal NOD MUST be filed within one year after receipt of the decision.

I learned about reconsideration requests many many years ago when NVLSP described them in the VBM-

many vet reps never suggest them-

There are cases lost at the BVA because the vet filed a reconsideration request but never filed a formal NOD within the first year after the decision.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All: I have a VSO that stated there is no difference between a NOD and reconsideration. I think while they may be correct, the operant word is "Appeal". I just initiated a reconsideration for a decision that was made in early September 2007 which increased by my sc from 10% to 50%. I submitted what I believe is the following substantial NEW EVIDENCE: an updated VA form 21-8940 (Application for increase based on Unemployability); Letter from MD and MSW recommending I stop work; SSDI award letter based "entirely" on VA medical records; Results of recent psychological testing (MMPI) with PhD findings that it endorses the chronicand severe nature of my condition; an Addendum to a C&P completed in August 2007 citing inappropriate aggressive behavior; Updated continuing clinical notes about ongoing treatment being received at VAMC; And continued medications and adjustments. I will be holding my breath for a few weeks untill I am sure the VSO does not submit this as an appeal. I was careful to use the word "reconsideration" in my Statement in Support of Claim form and avoided the word "appeal". In my region reconsiderations seem to be taking 4-6 months. What would be a safe time period to file a formal NOD in the event this matter is not concluded before the 1 year time limit? Thanks for all the help I have received so far.

RWS

"What would be a safe time period to file a formal NOD in the event this matter is not concluded before the 1 year time limit? Thanks for all the help I have received so far."

I would say mark your calendar to file the formal NOD in August or by Sept 1st.

sounds to me like you will succeed- you have VERY good evidence-

and it would be nice to get a TDIU decision well before August 2008-

I sure hope the Rep supports you here-you did very well so far and you know yourself- you should definitely be granted TDIU.

This all sounds Like whats happening with my claim.

I filed a reconsidereation myself, for to low a % and For an earlier effective date.From what I have seen or researched the Reconsideration is a nicer way to go.Not pointing out the fact that there decision was screwed up and that sometimes they will treat it- the reconsid- with a little more or should I just say less attitude.

I will let you know how I make out I filed in Dec so come Sept if I do not here anything I will go to a rep and do the NOD.

Hopefully I will not need to do that. I sent there regs with the reconsid to point out the screw up and let them know We are not as stupid as they seem to beleave we are. I say just send them enough so they can not say no--- Got to do there jobs for them.

Good Luck! -- Macool

Macool, did you send any "new evidence" with your reconsideration? It has been my understanding that new evidence should accompany a request for reconsid. I ran across something in the Title 38 regs a while back and it stated the need for new data. It can be as simple as new progress notes. I look forward to hearing how you do. One thing I have learned from reading these forums is the need to provide them the information that leads them to make a favorable decision. Document, document, document. Good Luck.

RWS

Yep- I would say however evidence, evidence, evidence-

Rick- I had to file a NOD on my recon on my CUE- they had definitely started working on it-filed the claim in 2004-

but the NOD year was almost up-

and they sent me a DRO request review form for it-

so I attached more evidence to the NOD and also to the DRO review form.

Our RO (Buffalo) color codes NODs so they can tell when a year has passed and then they start working on NODs over a year old.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use