Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mst Interview

Rate this question

ruby

Question

I called about getting an appointment to see someone a month ago, had the appointment, they got sick and cancelled the appointment said they would call me back at a later date.

Got a letter in the mail with a form saying I have an appointment with the Trauma Recovery Unit.

There are some forms for me to fill out, I don't mind filling out the forms and going to talk with someone about some issues that I have over the past many years to find out if these issues are related to this mst issue.

While most the the damage is done esp at my age, I am not sure they can help me with anything other than perhaps becoming closer to my family that I am drifting away from if the drifting is related to this issue.

Here is my problem with this and this will anger some and its not meant too.

I do not want to be labeled with PTDS. I do not want notes in my main medical records saying I have issues. Many people don't understand PTDS and thier eyes roll and you have less creditability.

While I thought at one point of filling for MST, I found the person that I reported the incident too and they confirmed I informed my unit and there was significant tension in the office after this happened. I have my SMR's that show that I was transferred and my proficiency and conducts marks were changed and also my SMR's that show my command started to go after me once my witness left the service.

Its like one minute, I want blood from them, if in fact my lack of being able to be emotionally attached to someone for the past 32 yrs is a direct cause of this incident, as my life is been hell and its getting worse as I become more and more detached from others.

Does seeing someone really help? I am not looking to file a claim at this point, I just want to feel better emotionally.. Do I keep this appointment and be open and honest or just say what I want them to know until I decide what I really want.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, Ruby I think its normal to have self talk or introspective discussion whatever one calls it. I've found it important to find a professional outlet, be it a trustworthy Dr. or group visit to let it out, usually over a period of time, repeat visits. The good thing is that every VA visit shows up in a vets Cfile as being proactive towards a health issue. I feel in every day Life and here at Hadit, one thing often leads to another. But with the VA, proving an issue for service connection care requires validation, medical opinion, buddy and stressor letters. Sadly after months and years of worrying and prepping for my claim, I found out I only needed to prove one Stressor, even though there were several other noncorraborated and undocumentted incidents.

Ruby, yes do discuss or ask questions here for your VA issue concerns. Also, as a courtesy, if you're posting sensitive details maybe label the post 'possible ptsd or mst trigger".

My heart goes out to you and your military connected experience. Now its time to get the VA to recognize your individual 'non-fiction' event(s) for service connection.

Thinking positive thoughts for you, cg

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

Informative Articles: Why Military Sexual Trauma May Cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Those who have endured sexual trauma in the military are more prone to developing post traumatic stress disorder than those who have experienced sexual trauma outside of the military. A lack of medical and emotional assistance or high stress levels may be a reason victims of MST are more prone to PTSD. Another reason why those who have experienced military sexual trauma often develop PTSD is because a fellow colleague or person respected by the victim is often the perpetrator. This sexual abuse would make further working difficult, especially if the victim must obey and continue to respect the perpetrator.

If the victim is sexual assaulted or harassed in the place they call home or work, fear is much more likely to take place because a once “safe-haven” is now a place of anxiety and bad memories. This type of crime may also hinder the person from achieving further goals and accomplishments out of helplessness. It may also be more difficult for a person to leave this type of a situation in the military, which puts a person at further risk for victimization. Other members of the military service often consider reporting such a negative crime about another soldier wrong and either will not believe the victim or will ignore them. For military members who have chosen to report sexual assault and were not believed or were blamed for the experience, PTSD is more common. Post traumatic stress disorder treatment centers are available to anyone looking to find military sexual trauma recovery. These centers offer a wide variety of specialized programs as well as therapy sessions. Often times, these PTSD treatment facilities are helpful in reducing the severe complications which may be associated with MST.

read the rest of the artical at:

http://www.casapalmera.com/articles/sympto...-sexual-trauma/

CENTRAL WISCONSIN - For Kevie Kelly, it started with dreams. For Tina Gerber, it was sleepless nights. Bev Jackson actually considered ending her life. What these women have in common is a deep love for the military and a diagnosis that took them by surprise — post traumatic stress disorder.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18494197/

Suzanne Swift's situation raised a seemingly unusual set of issues. She told Army investigators that the reason she did not report for deployment was that she had been sexually harassed repeatedly by three of her supervisors throughout her military service: beginning in Kuwait; through much of her time in Iraq; and following her return to Fort Lewis. She claimed too to be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, a highly debilitating condition brought on by an abnormal amount of stress. According to the most recent edition of The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, used by mental-health professionals to establish diagnostic criteria, PTSD symptoms can include, among other things, depression, insomnia or ''feeling constantly threatened.'' It is common for those afflicted to ''re-experience'' traumatic moments through intrusive, graphic memories and nightmares.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/magazine...amp;oref=slogin

Thanks for the articles and support to all of you. Maybe some of my ADD (self dx) long term and short memory problems is really MST and its fixable.

Now I understand why I couldn't remember certain facts but I could remember others, it just didn't make any sense to me to be able to remember the name of the person I reported this incident too but not the name of the person who did it. I now know his name, the buddy letter person remembered his name and put it in his letter.

How long after the intial appointment do you know if they think its MST.

I have all my records should I take them with me.

Edited by ruby

• HadIt.com Elder

ruby, I agree with bozoc and cg. My situation is very different from yours, but all mental health problems are somewhat common. I had denied for many years that I was depressed, and finally relented and saw someone about it last December. It truly was like a weight being lifted. I still don't really like the label, but it is part of who I am and where I have been. I have weekly appointments with a shrink, and I can't say that it helps, but it definately doesn't hurt, since I have pushed every last friend I had away over the years. The only support I have now are my wife and my mother, and I try my best not to burden either of them with the things that run through my mind. When I see the shrink, I can let it all hang out and have no fear of someone looking at me like I'm nuts, or defective. Go ahead with the appointment and file the claim with your head held high. This is part of who you are, and you cannot seperate yourself from it.

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruby, hard to say exactly how 'soon' one can be diagnosed with mst,ptsd, or other pysch issue. I did not have a ptsd or psych exam guide to even know what to expect for my exam. Just in case you havent got one yet, this is for you. Careful about ADD diagnosis, dont recall it is ratable sc issue. hugs cg.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm43.htm

and I found this other site that described mst data, it has sensitive descriptions, but key references to DSMIV and associated medical terminology for ptsd/mst.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=1513167

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

I went to the orientation today, thought it was an interview, apparently they do an orientation to explain the program to see if it fits your needs. The minute they said group therapy I was ready to walk out the door.

While I don't know if this is even remotely normal, I had a true panic attack. It was unnerving. They said what and how they run the PTDS program then talked to us individually. I immediately started to cry and went into a panic attack, my heart was pounding, I thought I was going to jump out of my skin. I finally told the Psy that I couldn't do this and no way would I ever do group therapy.

I said I wanted a referral to the main hospital psy. dept I have problems that needs to be addressed but not in group, she ask me if it had to do with my stressor in the service I said I don't know that's why I came here.

She ask if I would return for an initial interview and if she felt that I needed to see the main psy dept she would arrange that for me. I told her I would, but I just don't know if I can do this.

I only have panic attacks when you say MRI, give me major drugs.

I know that part of my problem is the fact I never faced my issues with what happened in the service, but that's my fault for not addressing the situation years ago. I am too old for them to fix part of the problem. I just want to figure out how to let my family and close friends in and stop alienating everyone. Again this is my fault, I know I am doing it, but I just can't stop the behavior that I know is an issue.

The problems I had when I was working is mute since I can't work anymore. I just don't know after the way I felt today if its worth going through it all.

Is this normal or should I really re evaluate if I want to put this additional stress on me at this time.