Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Link Or Case Law Needed

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hey I need some help I am SC for Hypertensive heart disease and have been diagnosed as having sleep apnea are these two related and does anyone have any case law on these two animals? I have searched VA got nothing I can see ANy help thanks

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry, the address I sent to you won't work. Type in: Veterans Affairs rating for sleep apnea and hpertensive heart disease to get a link.

DAV IU 100%

Greetings,

I also have sleep apnea and hypertension. I a currently waiting for a rating on my hypertension. I have looked into the link and there is most-definately a link between OSA and hypertension as a result of it. The most convincing studies I had found delt with pulmonary hypertension although there is literature that supports OSA contributing to both.

Are you currently seeing a board certified sleep doctor? IF you are, and they are willing to provide a written opinion that refers to OSA causing hypertension it should go quite a way towards getting SC. It is important that they specifically reference the study/studies. If you search google with the words SLEEP APNEA AND HYPERTENSION you will get a lot of the studies. A source I plan on going to in the future (after hypertension is resolved) is one of the national organizations or Dr. Bash (I will likely fund the cost out of my initial hypertension check).

My problem is I was diagnosed with Hypertension in service (1986) but didn't get diagnosed with OSA untill 1999. My doc has given a letter stating his opinion I had OSA in service but I am trying to find a bit more evidence (second doctors opinion) before filling on it (don't want to gum up the system even more). I need to win this fight on Hypertension first. They seem to be indicating they want to draw out the process since I didn't file soon after leaving the service. I didn't know I had a diagnosis and 92% of the blood pressure readings done in service were hypertensive. GET A COPY OF THOSE MEDICAL RECORDS, IF YOU HAVN'T LOOKED AT YOUR SMC YOU MIGHT BE SUPRISED AT WHAT THEY DID OR DIDN'T DO TO YOU!. Have been treated for it for last 20 years. They will eventually have to pay, the only question is how long they want to drag it out.

Work the process don't let the process work you!

Best regards,

Tyler

Here is my deal I too had Hypertension in Service Enlarged my heart after 20 years of uncontroled hypertension (use of meds works for a while then have to adjust meds) I got diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2002. Many years after my discharge in 89 what I want to know like many of you I wat to find a link from my SC hypertnesion that would connect the newly diagnosed sleep apnea to my 20year old hypertension which has caused my current hypertensive heart disease. To top it off I got dianosed with type 2 diabetes my luck runs awful. Any help sure would be apriciated I am amazed at this network and the knowledge that comes out of it. I thank all of you for any help. Ihad posted ealier about my cousin he got 50% in the mail the other day that problem is solved sure would like to know of the link some case law would help me figure this out. Adios

I believe that you will find within the medical community they still have not confirmed a "which caused what" relationship between OSA and hypertension. They will admit to a casual relationship between the two in that one aggravates the other and that one who has OSA is "predisposed" to end up with hypertension. There is a small group within the medical community that believes one causes the other but they will not take a stance on which one comes first and causes the other.

Good luck with your claim.

I believe that you will find within the medical community they still have not confirmed a "which caused what" relationship between OSA and hypertension. They will admit to a casual relationship between the two in that one aggravates the other and that one who has OSA is "predisposed" to end up with hypertension. There is a small group within the medical community that believes one causes the other but they will not take a stance on which one comes first and causes the other.

Good luck with your claim.

Hey I thank you for the reply I am working to find someone to stand out on the limb for me I promise no saw in my hand. I have to admit the clown freaks me out other than that thanks I accpet all help as long as you do not sign your post "Pennywise" have a good morning and thanks