VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu P&t

Rate this question

Will

Question

I was just approved for this and also get SSDI. How does working Part time effect it? Not saying I want to, at ALL, but my therapist said at VA I could work and get IU P&T. I do not buy that

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Will with the VA one is supposed to be able to work as long as they make below the current provety level. HOWEVER, it is not recommended. When the VA does the matching and sends you the have you worked form, you can betcha you will be going in for a new C&P exam.

On the SSDI - you can not work any. Let me repeat NONE. Unless you are on one of the programs like the back to work thing they offer. If you can not work full time and do not plan going back to work in the future then you need TO CEASE IMMEDIATELY before you mess up your benefits. jmho

• Founder
Will with the VA one is supposed to be able to work as long as they make below the current provety level. HOWEVER, it is not recommended. When the VA does the matching and sends you the have you worked form, you can betcha you will be going in for a new C&P exam.

On the SSDI - you can not work any. Let me repeat NONE. Unless you are on one of the programs like the back to work thing they offer. If you can not work full time and do not plan going back to work in the future then you need TO CEASE IMMEDIATELY before you mess up your benefits. jmho

i'm with ricky especially with the IU

I don't know anything about IU---but you can work with SSDI, the amount is minimal.

You can do the program where you can make as much as you can during a 9 month period within a 5 yr period---you can work for 2 months in one year then 5 months in another then one month in another up to 5 yrs. Based on this program you could literally make a million dollars and still collect as long as you do it within the time frame and notify them you are trying to go back to work.

You can make and this sum is not for sure 900 a month without penalty on SSDI. Some say the amount is 600-others say 900. There are 2 different paragraphs in the rules that apply to SSDI so it can be confusing as to the amount you can make and still collect without reporting to SS that your working.

I know someone who is working part time, no more than 12 hours a week and getting SSDI. They only make 10/hr so they are well beneath the allowable amount. I have called SS to verify they could work per thier request.

Ruby is correct- it is an odd program- I have a vet who I kept trying to get him to apply for TDIU- until he sat down with me and told me of his SSA situation-he was on this work program while collecting SSA just as Ruby described here-

Then SSA gave him problems because they said in one or two weeks he made too much money-

he is severely disabled and would definitely be eligible for TDIU due to SC but this work thing changed any retro date for TDIU-he has not applied for TDIU at all-

Then he just had a cardiac operation and wants again to see if SSA will allow him to go back to work for limited hours a day.I dont think they will with his medical situation which keeps getting worse.

In the long run- many vets on SSA would love to feel they are still capable of doing some work- but this can also add to their problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

I thought about moving to success story but it has an important question that has been discussed before. The 9 month get back to work program offered by SS is very strict and you can work for up to 9 months. I don't think that the VA counts a work rehab program as working its an attempt. Both SS and VA have strict guidelines about work but the main difference is that SS enforces based on real work and VA can cut you just cause they think you can work. There is a big difference.

Many with Mental Disorders are even treated harsher by VA. So my opinion is if you can go back to work do it and if its tricky leave it alone. I know that I could probably work at a fairly low paying job for awhile but sooner or later the Panic Monster will hit me and freak everyone including myself out.