VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Denial (possible Trigger For Ptsd And Mst Veterans)

Rate this question

JoAnn

Question

Hi,

I need all of your help with this one.

I am a Viet Nam Vet. I was the first female to be assigned to a combat unit. I was sexually harrased, raped, and tortured by the officers in the unit. Yes, there were a lot of officers because it was an attack helicopter squadron in the Army.

When I got out in '77 I was not told about the VA. In 2003 I found out that I was eligable for benefits. I applied and started geting medical services. My primary sent me to psych. I was diagnosed with PTSD from the sexual tramma and started to understand why I could not keep a job, stay married, or love my sons. I applied for service connection. I was told not to apply by the DAV, have not been given any help with my claim and now the BVA has put the icing on the cake with the words they used in their denial. You see, when I reported the rape it was my CO who had commited the act. Well guess what, my CO is were the report was sent. It never went anywhere so there is not any record anywhere of it happening. I did request to be transfered to another unit and my sister confirmed the change in my behavior. The rating board for the BVA rater chose not to look at that and to ignore the fact that the judge found a connection. Instead I received the following:

:)

"An examiner's diagnosis can be no better than the reported facts. Professional opinions based on inaccurate factual premises have no probative value.

There is evidence which indicates you have not been a consistent historian. Your claim is based on a diagnosis of repressed memories for your events in the military. You report having difficulty remembering your military years but do remember some events with great specificity. The sheer magnitude of events you describe defies logic given the complete absence of one iota of corroborating evidence, i.e., no police reports, no disciplinary actions, no sexually transmitted disease checks, no behavioral changes, no mental health consults, no changes in physical conditioning and no evidence of any of these things for over 30 years subsequent to the reported events. The VA examiner was inclined to accept your report as fact and rendered an opinion based on that assumption."

I submitted records showing that I asked and was given a transfer to another unit. This evidence has never been refered to in anything that I have gotten back.

SO, my question is, how do I get them to look at all of the evidence that I have provided them? I have 30 days to respond to the denial letter that I got. The DVA officer is not anyone that I want to help me because he had never talked to me about my case. He sat in the hearing like a bump on a log. He had never even heard what had happened to me until I told the judge. So please, what should I put in the response to the rating boards opinion?

Thank you

Jo Ann

US Army

1974-1977

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was in 227th Aviation, HHT 2nd Bde 1st Cav Div. On 21 Jan 1975 the unit be came Trp B 7/17th Cav 1st Cav Div. I have the orders for that and it shows that I was the only female in the unit.

JoAnn - the 1st Cav returned to the states in '71-'72. Are you sure you were in the 227th AHB in 1975?

pr

US Army

1974-1977

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings,

Thank you. The part of the UCMJ I need is how reports of rape were handled in 1975. I need evidence that the report was handled "in house" so the board will understand that my report went to the person who raped me. Was it in the UCMJ or was it Army Policy?

Thank you

JoAnn

JoAnn, There were no Rape Sheild Laws for military victims in 1975. Military Law (UCMJ) was on your side, but the Chain of Command was not !! Your Charges should have been referred to a Commanding Officer who would then initiate an Article 32 Investigation . . . Never happened !! Research "Unlawful Command Influence".

Manual for Courts Martial will be more helpful to your personal research. ~Wings

Article 32 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (Section 832 of Title 10, United States Code), requires a thorough and impartial investigation of charges and specifications before they may be referred to a general court-martial (the most serious level of courts-martial). However, the accused may waive the Article 32 investigation requirement. The purpose of this pretrial investigation is to inquire into the truth of the matter set forth in the charges, to consider the form of the charges, and to secure information to determine what disposition should be made of the case in the interest of justice and discipline. The investigation also serves as a means of pretrial discovery for the accused and defense counsel in that copies of the criminal investigation and witness statements are provided and witnesses who testify may be cross-examined.

1950 - creation of Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)

1951 - creation of Manual for Courts-Martial (MCM)

1980 - creation of Military Rules of Evidence (MRE) which instituted MRE 412, the rape shield provision.

Current Article 120(a) reads: "Any person subject to this chapter who commits an act of sexual intercourse by force and without consent, is guilty of rape and shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct."

Fore more UCMJ questions I strongly reccomend Mr. Addlestone!

DAVID F. ADDLESTONE

icadd1@verizon.net

Phone 202.338.3877

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

We were sent TDY to Saigon. There were some pilots and a couple of enlisted. We were in Saigon at the embassy. Wish I could tell you more but I do not remember.

Thank you for the link. Maybe it will help me remember. I see there is info about the unit at Ft Hood when I was there.

Jo Ann

JoAnn - here's a link to the 1st Cav's history. http://www.first-team.us/journals/1stndx06.html All 1st Cav was reported to have left Vietnam in June, 1972. If you have orders you'd better make copies and keep the originals locked up.

pr

US Army

1974-1977