Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psychological Eval-

Rate this question

LOA

Question

Hi everyone, I had a psychological consult yesterday, my first. I was diagnosed with depression by my doctor several years ago and have been on antidepressions but was never sent to the psych. It is/was believed that my depression is due to my medical conditions and poor health. My psych did a history of my life and then talked about treatment.

Here is my concern: She had me read about Energy Medicine by Donna Eden, and said this will be the bases for our treatment when I see her next time. Has anyone ever heard of this and If so can you please give me some insight on it. I have read a lot of material on it and It appears like witchcraft or it is all in your head medicine. I am thinking about not going back because of this. I know none of us are doctors ( or at least most of us) but I am not asking for medical advise, just friendly advise as I know alot of you have been dealing with issues like this alot long than I have and have been very helpful to us young veterans. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi everyone, I had a psychological consult yesterday, my first. I was diagnosed with depression by my doctor several years ago and have been on antidepressions but was never sent to the psych. It is/was believed that my depression is due to my medical conditions and poor health. My psych did a history of my life and then talked about treatment.

Here is my concern: She had me read about Energy Medicine by Donna Eden, and said this will be the bases for our treatment when I see her next time. Has anyone ever heard of this and If so can you please give me some insight on it. I have read a lot of material on it and It appears like witchcraft or it is all in your head medicine. I am thinking about not going back because of this. I know none of us are doctors ( or at least most of us) but I am not asking for medical advise, just friendly advise as I know alot of you have been dealing with issues like this alot long than I have and have been very helpful to us young veterans. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is this is coming from a VA shrink? Anyway, I took a quick peek and it looks like complimentary medicine; some tools in addition to your regular meds. I say anything that helps is worth investigating, it doesn't look cult-like lol!

When I worked in the AF Mental Health clinics, we had one civilian, a very orthodox Christian psychologist - who taught and practiced hypnosis with excellent results. The Air Force was very "hip" to progressive medicine. I say it can't hurt and maybe even help. If after a couple sessions it makes you feel bad or worse, just say STOP. End the session. You have that right. ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder

You will never know unless you try it. I try to withhold judgment before investigation. As far as the technique I have never heard of it.

good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

You are right- there is some Voo Doo stuff out there- I too ask-

is this a real psychiatrist?

A VA doctor?

Is this for a VA claim?

You will need a clear medical diagnosis and also a nexus to your service- the nexus is the link, etiology, or cause for your current disability.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

This is an Army Psyc. at Army hospital. I am trying to establish a clear diagnosis for my VA claim. As my regular doctor just diagnosed depression due to other medical issues. I am trying to get the Army pysc to narrow the diagnoses. I have not seen the medical notes from my exam yesterday but I will try to get them this week. All my current documents just say depression secondary to medical conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Due to your "medical conditions" do you suffer any pain (pain can cause bad depression)?

And, are these medical conditions service connected?

If so, tell your psychiatrist, let him/her know that that is what you believe you are going through.

The depression you suffer from can be much more disabling than your prior injuries/illness.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW, I got placed in a "Pain Management Group" that meets weekly.

We go in and the psychologist has us tell her on a scale 1 to 10 how much pain we are feeling, then she talks about "dirty pain" and "clean pain", then she has us all close our eyes and think soothing thought, to imagine the pain is flowing out our finger-tips and how this should make us all feel warn and tingley....................

Look boys and girls, I was born on a cattle ranch and I've laid out in blizzards with my hand and arm up a cow's puss trying to turn that little calf so's she could go ahead and deliver that calf.....and if I was unsuccessful and she couldn't, then I'd take my 30-30 and put her out of her misery, ride back to the barn and clean up and manage to make the school bus so's I didn't miss anything in Mrs. Holloway's 5th grade class............

And, now I'm supposed to imagine my pain flowing gently out of my fingertips and then feel all warm and cozy.

Look folks! I go to that group grope simply because I WILL NOT let them put in their "records" that I am NON-compliant with my "treatment plan".

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph