By CE SKIDMORE

skidmore@poststar.com

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2008

Larger Text

Smaller Text

Print

Email

RSS

CORINTH -- Things are looking up for Sgt. Matthew Welch and his family.

A story that ran on the front page of Monday's edition of The Post-Star detailing the Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran's quest to receive his disability benefits led to an outpouring of support from neighbors and ranking public officials.

"The support has been pretty unreal, and there have been too many people to count," Welch said. "Several businesses have sent money, as well as individuals who sent us checks. ... I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am."

The same day it was published by The Post-Star, Welch's story was featured on television news programs. The attention may have put pressure on the organizations which had been juggling Welch's paperwork for two years."

(Maybe we should ALL go to the press! : They already made a comp award))

From:http://www.poststar.com/articles/2008/02/21/news/local/13367127.txt

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

All right, there is power in the press, God Bless that family. I think a conglomeration (sp?) of websites that support veterans should go for the media approach. For example, by simple poll taking, the websites can offer up categories of claims still 'out there' for so many years, A/O, ptsd, etc. and some prize stories that go along with the people connected to the the claims. willing participants only! cg

In part:

"Soldier gets response from story

By CE SKIDMORE

skidmore@poststar.com

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2008

Larger Text

Smaller Text

Print

Email

RSS

CORINTH -- Things are looking up for Sgt. Matthew Welch and his family.

A story that ran on the front page of Monday's edition of The Post-Star detailing the Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran's quest to receive his disability benefits led to an outpouring of support from neighbors and ranking public officials.

"The support has been pretty unreal, and there have been too many people to count," Welch said. "Several businesses have sent money, as well as individuals who sent us checks. ... I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am."

The same day it was published by The Post-Star, Welch's story was featured on television news programs. The attention may have put pressure on the organizations which had been juggling Welch's paperwork for two years."

(Maybe we should ALL go to the press! : They already made a comp award))

From:http://www.poststar.com/articles/2008/02/21/news/local/13367127.txt

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

It just pises me off that a deseving vet has to go the press to get help. If I here one more time that the average waiting time is 179 days I think I will go postal. (sorry to the postal guys and girls on here.)

jIM

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

Well, it sure doesn't help going to your congressman.....

More power to him. I think that more of us should go to the press and show the liars that the RO's are.

Folks, just wanted too add a footnote to this....I am convinced there is Power in the Press. In my case, the VAMC, St. Pete, Fla. lost my medical and psyc records for 51 days. These records i had requested from the Release of Info Office and be sent too my VSO at the RO.[150 yards] They never arrived. I filed a FTCA for Violations of the Privacy Act[not HIPPA], no protection under HIPPA, then contacted Bill Levesque @ the St. Pete Times[Tampa Office].. He came out and sat with me for 2 hours. Upon his calling too the RO and informing them about a story he was preparing, they went right into damage control mode...[call made @ 10:30am], my records were located at 1:30 pm and my claim for NSC Pension approved @ 2:30pm..Soooooo, i am sold on the Power of the Press! I dropped the Privacy Act Tort Claim portion only, of my pending Tort Claim against the VA[another matter]..Regards, Willam n P.S. Congressman Bill Nelson's Office[D-FLA] calls the Regional Counsel Office, every 30-45 days in regards to my pending Tort Claim, just to let the VA know,i guess, someone is watching.

william