Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims

Rate this question

toolman

Question

I was hurt while on actice duty and was discharged honorbly and sent home while still seeing a Doctor. I had a back and neck injury in 1986. I got a 20% rating after about ten years. Now I can't work what am I to do. Can anyone tell what I do next.

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Was there any Xrays taken at the time - Thats what I did =I signed the X-rays out of records (stole them and had copys made.) I then had them read by a private radioligist and my own NON VA doctor. They said that the injury showed as an extruded cushion inpinging on the left side spine, And because the VA had not addresed the injury since 73, the spine injury was was their problem ,because they had not addresed the problem thereby allowing the back to worsen to the point it is now. Recently my left foot numeness was rated seperatly as being caused by the back ingury, But this took till 1993 .At the hearing at the FEDERAL BLDG the HEARING OFFICIAL asked if I was adding the back to the personal hearing= (they had heard about the Xray ) I said yes and the rest is HISTORY.

So your Xrays and MRIs and etc ar stored seperately in records- if there were any taken at the time. STEVE & PAT

• HadIt.com Elder

Toolman, sorry I overlooked your post down a few on the list. I think you may have asked about an abbreviation I used. TDIU or IU. cg

Total disability based upon individual unemployability - TDIU - is available to veterans who do not meet the 100% disability requirement, but who are otherwise unable to secure a "substantially gainful occupation". In these instances a veteran may be awarded TDIU and receive monthly disability compensation benefits as if rated 100% even though the veteran has not received an 100% disability rating. The VA checks a veterans SSA/SSDI benefits records, very relevant to the award of TDIU.

I'm sorry but these letters that you gave me ,I don't understand what they mean.

Was there any Xrays taken at the time - Thats what I did =I signed the X-rays out of records (stole them and had copys made.) I then had them read by a private radioligist and my own NON VA doctor. They said that the injury showed as an extruded cushion inpinging on the left side spine, And because the VA had not addresed the injury since 73, the spine injury was was their problem ,because they had not addresed the problem thereby allowing the back to worsen to the point it is now. Recently my left foot numeness was rated seperatly as being caused by the back ingury, But this took till 1993 .At the hearing at the FEDERAL BLDG the HEARING OFFICIAL asked if I was adding the back to the personal hearing= (they had heard about the Xray ) I said yes and the rest is HISTORY.

So your Xrays and MRIs and etc ar stored seperately in records- if there were any taken at the time. STEVE & PAT

Yes they took x-rays when I was injuried on active duty and I have had lots of them up until now and MRI's too ut I don't have them yet. Thanks for your help

Toolman, sorry I overlooked your post down a few on the list. I think you may have asked about an abbreviation I used. TDIU or IU. cg

I'm sorry but these letters that you gave me ,I don't understand what they mean.

Thanks , I found out what they meant later that night. Where can I finf info on what you are talking about. Thanks again for all your help.

I don't have copies of x-rays or mri. Can I get them from VA?

Toolman,

You mentioned SSDI up farther in the post, have you supplied a copy of that decision and any medical records you have from that to VA?

I think they can help you greatly, run them by your service officer first, but the doctor that did the SSDI physicals might have provided clear medical arguments for an increase on your SC disability.

Best regards,

Tyler

Yes,Thank You so much for helping