Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuropathy Caused By Vitamin Deficiency?!

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have neuropathy. Legs jingle, jangle, jingle as the old song says. EMG shows nerve damage in both legs though worse on the right. (right arm too.)

I'm claiming it as secoindary to lower back problems caused by altered gait due to sprained left ankle and flat feet.

So yesterday I see a doctor and he tells me it's probably from a vitamin deficiency??? ;)

He said if the blood work shows such, he'll order a series of vitamin injections. (and I hate needles!) This is supposed to make me feel better.

Is this for real??? I'm all for feeling better but why ain't I reassured. I can't see this helping my claim process either. ;)

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My doc said, in writting, that my vitamin D deficiency is caused by my chronic pain secondary to my s/c coccyx injury.

Nail down the cause of the deficiency .........

• HadIt.com Elder

It is possible with certain B vitamin deficiencies. CNN article

have you had an MRI of your lumbar spine? If you haven't, I would suggest to your doctor that one is appropriate, as you have lumbar pain and neuropathy. If he doesn't think it's necessary, insist upon it. Tell him you would rather know if there is a problem early, instead of waiting it out developing full-blown cauda equina.

90%, TDIU P&T

http://www.surgical-pathology.com/thiamine_deficiency.htm

I think they can give you Thiamine pills for this-if it is a B vitamin problem my husband had neuropathy and this is what they gave him-

I had some B 12 shots-they aint bad-

Did you ever have any Beri beri,malaria , or any tropical disease in service that could have led to this vitamin deficiency?

It is a long shot but then again-

a veteran should raise every single reason they can for a condition to be service connected

"I'm claiming it as secoindary to lower back problems caused by altered gait due to sprained left ankle and flat feet."

That sure makes sense to me-

and what the doctor said is kind of a stretch here-

and not good for a C & P exam result-

did the doctor understand and speak English?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

http://www.surgical-pathology.com/thiamine_deficiency.htm

I think they can give you Thiamine pills for this-if it is a B vitamin problem my husband had neuropathy and this is what they gave him-

I had some B 12 shots-they aint bad-

Did you ever have any Beri beri,malaria , or any tropical disease in service that could have led to this vitamin deficiency?

It is a long shot but then again-

a veteran should raise every single reason they can for a condition to be service connected

"I'm claiming it as secoindary to lower back problems caused by altered gait due to sprained left ankle and flat feet."

That sure makes sense to me-

and what the doctor said is kind of a stretch here-

and not good for a C & P exam result-

did the doctor understand and speak English?

Berta

I also have vitamin D deficiancy for which I am taken one pill a week for eight weeks of 50,000 miligrams, also was diagnosed with mild sensory neuropathy in my legs. A while ago was having to take a series of shots for pernicious anemia it does not feel good having all these problems.

I have PN in both feet really givin me the dickens lately. I have also been Dx with pernicious anemia by my VA PC I have been told I will have to give myself a b12 shot for the rest of my life.

The feet got so bad and the VA would not listen I went to my ousade podatrist and he prescribed 75mg of Lyrcia twice a day. Only been taken it 3 days but does seem to help at night. he said try it for two weeks and if nothing gets better he is sending me to a Nerologist. Also while there I point blank asked if this was because of my B12 defiency and he said no way. Hmph.

Goodluck with your claims!

Stillhere