Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Of 50--what?

Rate this question

Nic25

Question

I was just recently given a gaf score of 50...does anyone know how to convert this score to a possible disability rating...or maybe provide me with some historical data or a site I can go to for conversions...thanks

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

carlie,

Would you agree that a GAF Score is subjective? I could get a GAF Score, and go to lunch...come back and get a different GAF score same day same pysch. What I am saying is a determination for rating is based (in my experience) on the Worksheet. Which, the worksheet has the questions that properly identify what is on the CFR 38 Regs....like hygiene, social and occupational relationships, etc. A GAF score can not be a determining factor because it is based on "Opinion" per se.

carlie,

Would you agree that a GAF Score is subjective? I could get a GAF Score, and go to lunch...come back and get a different GAF score same day same pysch. What I am saying is a determination for rating is based (in my experience) on the Worksheet. Which, the worksheet has the questions that properly identify what is on the CFR 38 Regs....like hygiene, social and occupational relationships, etc. A GAF score can not be a determining factor because it is based on "Opinion" per se.

Spike, I agree with what you are saying. The GAF can be very subjective. The VA can have their cake and eat it too win it comes to GAF's. If it is high they can say you are not very sick and deny or low-ball you regardless of other evidence. If it is low, they can say the GAF is only a small part of an evaluation and the other evidence shows you are not that bad off. I'm not saying they do this all of the time but it gives them options when it comes to decisions. This is why it is extremely important for the C&P examiner to thoroughly document each aspect of an exam with a medical opinion and language that is not easily disputable by the raters.

Of course gaf score can and does change day by day. If the doc assigns a gaf score

it is supposed to be a a part of the evidence considered by the rater, although I think

it is a small part.

I say look at the big picture of comments docs make, patient does or does not

make eye contact, monotone speach, etc...

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

The whole process of C&P exams for emotional conditions is so subjective it is like rolling dice, unless you are acutely psychotic and raving mad. If you jump over the desk and try and strangle the doctor they would probably just lock you in the county jail and give you a rating of 10%.

The point I wanted to get across is: GAF Scores do not carry as much weight as it is being lead to believe. It is used as a checks and balances tool by the VA. If you do not want to believe it, it's your right. There is nothing in the regulations that say anything about using a GAF score to adjudicate a claim in favor of the veteran. There is criteria for what they are looking for; and while that information MAY be very close to the GAF Score rating by the DSM IV, it does not directly determine what your rating is. It seems to me that a lot of people are believing the urban myth that is does. I hope this helps.

Hello my Gaf 50 got me 70% in June 2004 now I had a Q T C exam 29 Nov 2007 and they are trying to lower me to 50% my G A F has been 50 from June 22,2004 to present with my treating doctor at the V A M C L L but the Q T C doctor said I got better. My treating doctor that work for the V A wrote me a letter that said I have not got any better and it is more likely than not I will do you all think San Diego R O will use his letter or the one from Q T C.