Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Deemed Totally Disabled

Rate this question

donews

Question

I received notification earlier this month that I was approved for SDV-I Life Insurance.

They automatically filled an informal calim for waiver of premiums based on my medical records indicating that I am so severly disabled. I did not formally request a waiver of premiums at any time.

Now today I get an approval letter for Waiver of Premiums.

The letter states :

"We have found that you have been totally disabled and entitled to waiver of premiums from March 1, 2008, the effective date of your policy."

If you recall some of my earlier posts, I am working the Service Connected Heart Disease Rating, and have not officially filed for TDIU.

I am currently in the process of working up the paperwork for my Depression claim that was denied.

TDIU was third on my list.

The question being do you think this statement will hold any weight with the VA for my TDIU claim since this comes from the VA Regional Office and Insurance Center?

I wonder if it will trigger an informal TDIU claim before I get a 21-8940 filed?

Donewsome

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Interesting question and they should.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you should file the informal claim for TDIU. You will have plenty of time to get more evidence, and you establish a date for the TDIU. Filing for TDIU is just like filing for any other claim. You want the earliest effective date you can get. That piece of paper is evidence of unemployability, but probably you need more medical evidence. Did you file for SSDI yet?

I think you should file the informal claim for TDIU. You will have plenty of time to get more evidence, and you establish a date for the TDIU. Filing for TDIU is just like filing for any other claim. You want the earliest effective date you can get. That piece of paper is evidence of unemployability, but probably you need more medical evidence. Did you file for SSDI yet?

Yes, I have had SSDI since 2004 and it is due to my Heart Diseases and they are Service Connected.

It is actually in my VA medical records, Va mental health records, my C&P examiners records, and even on my original application in 2004 that I am unemployed due to my Heart Disease and other service connected conditions.

I guess I will go ahead an shoot off a quick TDIU claim tommorow and develope the evidence and such after I get the Depression claim developed.

When / if I get the TDIU I will fight for the Effective Date to go back to when my records indicate for the TDIU.

My problem is I have so many claims, I am hoping I do not clog the pipe and cause myself a longer wait and more grief because I have to much going on at once.

Heck I still have not figured out if I can ask them to change my orignial efetive date of the DMII and other claims due to me being a AO / Neimer vet.

If I overload my brain to much at once it will explode, so I am a little slow sometimes.

Donewsome

• HadIt.com Elder

No!!!! Just my thoughts. I was found P&T disabled by my life insurance company and granted a waiver of premium, back in the early 70's and have worked since then. Just because one says you are, doesn't mean the other will. jmo but a fact.

pr