Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With C&p For A&a

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Hi,

What does the VA consider for aid and attendance? I do not cook every meal for myself or my family depending upon weight and preperation of meal. I cannot shower unless someone is home. I have had to have my husband wash my back and hair quite often because I cannot. I do not do laundry because I cannot lift it, so again my husband or kids do the laundry, dishes, cleaning, help with shopping. Does this count?

I have my C&P Friday and I do not know what to expect. My doctor wrote a letter some time ago, but I never expected A&A. The VA actually just sent a letter stating deferred A&A, pending info.

Do I have a chance at getting A&A by what I stated? My doctor wrote I get help with daily activities.

I just wanted to put a quick note, I have loss of use (muscle weakness/ pins and needles daily) on the left side of my body from a brain stem hump and residuals from brain surgery.

Thanks.

Edited by tdak

Have a great day!!!

tdak

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. "...Ronald Reagan

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It sounds to me like you meet the criteria for A&A. I am also being considered for it, so if you have any kind of a C&P for it, please post your experience, so I may know what to expect.

Here is the criteria for A&A (It falls under 38 USC 1114(l), and is paid at the "L" rate for basic A&A, not a "higher level.":

TITLE 38--PENSIONS, BONUSES, AND VETERANS' RELIEF

CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

PART 3_ADJUDICATION--Table of Contents

Subpart A_Pension, Compensation, and Dependency and Indemnity

Compensation

Sec. 3.352 Criteria for determining need for aid and attendance and

``permanently bedridden.''

(a) Basic criteria for regular aid and attendance and permanently

bedridden.

[[Page 267]]

The following will be accorded consideration in determining the need for

regular aid and attendance (Sec. 3.351©(3): inability of claimant to

dress or undress himself (herself), or to keep himself (herself)

ordinarily clean and presentable; frequent need of adjustment of any

special prosthetic or orthopedic appliances which by reason of the

particular disability cannot be done without aid (this will not include

the adjustment of appliances which normal persons would be unable to

adjust without aid, such as supports, belts, lacing at the back, etc.);

inability of claimant to feed himself (herself) through loss of

coordination of upper extremities or through extreme weakness; inability

to attend to the wants of nature; or incapacity, physical or mental,

which requires care or assistance on a regular basis to protect the

claimant from hazards or dangers incident to his or her daily

environment. ``Bedridden'' will be a proper basis for the determination.

For the purpose of this paragraph ``bedridden'' will be that condition

which, through its essential character, actually requires that the

claimant remain in bed. The fact that claimant has voluntarily taken to

bed or that a physician has prescribed rest in bed for the greater or

lesser part of the day to promote convalescence or cure will not

suffice. It is not required that all of the disabling conditions

enumerated in this paragraph be found to exist before a favorable rating

may be made. The particular personal functions which the veteran is

unable to perform should be considered in connection with his or her

condition as a whole. It is only necessary that the evidence establish

that the veteran is so helpless as to need regular aid and attendance,

not that there be a constant need. Determinations that the veteran is so

helpless, as to be in need of regular aid and attendance will not be

based solely upon an opinion that the claimant's condition is such as

would require him or her to be in bed. They must be based on the actual

requirement of personal assistance from others.

rentaguy1

I recieave A&A at the L level but I am having physical therapy three times a week plus I have a nurse who comes once a week to see me should I apply for the higher level of aid and attendance?

• HadIt.com Elder

What is the maximum amount of A&A a vet can get? I am not sure the amount you get would ever pay for really extensive care for a person outside a nursing home. It would help defray expenses if a spouse is alread at home, but it would not compensate for a working spouse to quit their job and stay home to care for person really needing A&A who is bedridden or needs help going to the toilet, eating, bathing etc. If you hire someone qualified who is has liability insurance you will be paying 60$ an hour or more. Just the other day one of my old neighbors broke out of her house where half-ass caretaker had locked her in and died in a unlocked car.

The children of the old lady did not want to hire a genuine caretaker so they hired some housekeeper and the housekeeper locked the old lady in and went to church. This is what you get for small money. My wife quit work to stay at home with me to help me because I take meds that make it dangerous for me to drive. Can I get A&A of some sort? I am TDIU and to some extent housebound. I weigh over 200 lbs. My wife could never life me onto a toilet or something like that if I was really bedridden or helpless. I would end up in the happy farm. People always say they will never go to a nursing home, or relatives say they will not send one, but in the end they will have you put away. You can count on it unless you have very good long term care insurance.

What is the maximum amount of A&A a vet can get? I am not sure the amount you get would ever pay for really extensive care for a person outside a nursing home. It would help defray expenses if a spouse is alread at home, but it would not compensate for a working spouse to quit their job and stay home to care for person really needing A&A who is bedridden or needs help going to the toilet, eating, bathing etc. If you hire someone qualified who is has liability insurance you will be paying 60$ an hour or more. Just the other day one of my old neighbors broke out of her house where half-ass caretaker had locked her in and died in a unlocked car.

The children of the old lady did not want to hire a genuine caretaker so they hired some housekeeper and the housekeeper locked the old lady in and went to church. This is what you get for small money. My wife quit work to stay at home with me to help me because I take meds that make it dangerous for me to drive. Can I get A&A of some sort? I am TDIU and to some extent housebound. I weigh over 200 lbs. My wife could never life me onto a toilet or something like that if I was really bedridden or helpless. I would end up in the happy farm. People always say they will never go to a nursing home, or relatives say they will not send one, but in the end they will have you put away. You can count on it unless you have very good long term care insurance.

My wife also had to quit her job because of me and the meds. I take put me in another world. She took almost an 800 hundred dollar pay and lost out health insurance through her job when she quit. She is my caretaker and also supervises my physical therapy the days the my physical therapist does not come. I am afraid to apply for a higher a&a because because of the va's crap I am undicided about this one. Need advice.