Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do You Think...?

Rate this question

luvHIM

Question

I have been wondering ever since I came to Hadit.com if there is a differentiation in the handling of claims for those who are retired veterans, as opposed to those who did not retire or serve out his/her entire enlistment?

It just seems that for some on here the process goes a whole lot smoother if you actually retired from the military than if you got out earlier; especially if you separated before your ETS date. I had two enlistment terms. I did get out sooner than my scheduled ETS from my first enlistment. But I served my entire enlistment in the second phase, but did not retire. However, my work history (per SSA is "excellent"...so VA would have to know that me filing a claim for an increase was never about wanting to leech off of them because I definitely made more money working). Maybe they are going to do right by me this time. I don't know.

Maybe I'm just frustrated with my medical condition robbing me of my life and today I'm venting, rambling, thinking too much. Anyway, just wondering what others think about the whole retired as opposed to not.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that newy retired or just getting out if they file within 1 year of separation they are on a fast tract as the VA pretty much accepts their records and other things that the challlenge when someone has been out for years.

I am glad that some Vets get better care by VARO just wish it was all of us.

By the way when I applied for SMC from start to finish was under 5 months. I hardly got any retro at all. B)

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks everyone! I guess this VA claim process does wear you down.

Thanks McAfee for the Happy Birthday...appreciate it.

Berta: I understand what you are saying. I was not seeking service connection. I have been since 1979. I was just seeking an increase. I believe the VA was "confused" by the change in diagnosis. But that has been clarified and medically supported by the evidence.

I do like Ricky's observation that many claims decided quickly are often denials. So, it is my hope that the waiting is almost over.

I guess the fact that it's a little difficult to argue with the info if someone is just getting out makes a lot of sense. So, then that would be the case whether someone is retiring or not.

Yeah, its just been a long ride and I'm getting tired. I could definitely not imagine 44 years. I truly tip my hat to Josephine and others like her who endured the battle with the VA. I just don't know that I have that kind of fight left in me.

I think that newy retired or just getting out if they file within 1 year of separation they are on a fast tract as the VA pretty much accepts their records and other things that the challlenge when someone has been out for years.

I am glad that some Vets get better care by VARO just wish it was all of us.

By the way when I applied for SMC from start to finish was under 5 months. I hardly got any retro at all. :)

Something else to think About. Anybody who had retired or been dicharged since October 01 is now on the fast track, That means that since I retired in April 03. I am lump in with OIF/OEF vets event thou during these two wars the closest i got to any action was PSAB in Saudi Arabia. If I only spent 3 years in and passes out baketballs at the gym and never even left the states I would still be put in front of a combat VET from the gulf or Vietnam. I THINK THATS SUC*S to put one group of vets in front of another

Jim

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

• HadIt.com Elder

"VA Fast Track" thats a real hoot when you think about it. I was on a slow train to nowhere with mine for 6 years.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Retired in 97 Navy put me on the Permanent Disability Retired List after 21 years. Applied with VA they gave me 40% lowball never appealed. 2003 had heart attack gave me 100% for 3 months then 10% more. Still at 40%. 2004 had a stroke gave me 100% for 18 months then upped me to 60%. Had another stroke March last year they did up two residuals, now 91%. They never rated me at 100% for 6 months after the second stroke. Have a Nod in now. Don't think they did me any special favors....lol\\

Boats

My .02

I think what you are observing is caused by two things.

1. Long service vets with injuries have more SMR's documenting the condition and its disabling effects. A person who develops a chronic strain injury in one enlistment will have much less government paper on it that someone with 12-16 years service with same injury.

2. Since Al Gore invented the internet (yah right!), there has been a great proliferation of knowledge on the government. We are seeing people here on HADIT who are getting ready to retire and they are asking the questions up fron't and are aware of the process and regs before they file. They are entering the system with eyes open and situational awarness that I did not have my first go around with the VA.

When I left the service in 87, I had a wife, one kid and one on the way, I filled my back injury and I got a 0% rating and was fine with it. At that point in my life I wanted to be done with the Government and become a private citizen again. I didn't read my SMR's, I didn't know the VA regulations and I certainly didn't know VASRD ratings and I didn't care. I was 22 and I was done with them. I could live with my back - life went on.

Twenty years later, I re-filed on the back, read some regs, read the VASRD, and read my SMR's and C-file copy. I was pissed, I got Robbed/shortchanged/lowballed, but more so I was upset/embaressed that I was so passive about things the first time around. This go-around I am pro-active and need to remind myself that what they did to me in the past isn't in play, what I should have gotten isn't going to generate any advantage for the present. Make sure you are focused on the current claim and leave the old injustices (perceived or actual) in the past. Bring the evidence forward but leave what should have or could have been done behind.

Best regards,

Tyler