Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is The Vamc Doing Drug Screens?

Rate this topic

Got a letter a few days ago to come in for a "fasting" lab before I could get my monthly scrip for methylphenidate (I have narcolepsy). I went in to the clinic and was promptly given a specimen cup.... I asked what it was for, and a very rude and bossy lab tech told me, "for your pain medicine".... I told her that methylphenidate is NOT a pain medicine. I also told her that I get NO pain meds from the VA. Just then I noticed another lab tech smiling at me. So then, I asked the bossy lab tech again, "What is this test for?"....... well, I got no answer, except that I would not be able to get my "PAIN MEDICINE" without complying with the test.

Well, I do take hydrocodone prn... prescribed by a neurologist.... and the VA doctor said that I should keep going to that doctor. So, I guess I should just forget the VA..... go pay my other neurologist $400 for an office call and get a year's worth of prescriptions for the methylphenidate..... which costs $4 per month.... at Walmart. That would save me from driving 110 miles a month to the VA clinic.

I guess nobody else has asked the question at that clinic, because several other vets were asked for specimens while I was there. I'm a little curious about how the VA can get away with drug screening without following federal mandates, like informed consent and chain of custody, etc. I know a little bit about drug testing since I helped write the original legislation for the commercial nuclear industry (10CFR.... well, I forget.... it's been a long time...)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you recieve pain meds from the VA, then you have to sign a pain management agreement with them which allows them the call you in for random drug screening. If they find anything in there other than what you are prescribed, then you can no longer get pain meds through the VA. They do follow chain of custody protocols when they do this, or at least they do at my VAMC. If you don't get pain meds through the VA, I probably would have done the same thing.

90%, TDIU P&T

Guest Vietnam Tanker

In my VAMC they do the drug testing if you are on pain meds, just to insure that you are using them and not selling them. If your urine and blood tests come back negative you will no longer be issued any pain meds.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VAMC tests for drugs almost every time you pee in a cup. Ask for copies of your lab tests and you will see.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Founder

i heard they were doing that because some veterans were selling their pain meds on the street. i've heard they've even had problems with some veterans getting free bus passes and selling them. ugh, some screw it up for all. from what i've heard and remember this is all scuttlebutt that if you are on pain meds they do test to see if you are taking them. i don't know if they are doing drug tests every time they do labs, i had a ton of blood tests run the other day the doc didn't say anything about a drug test, but i'm not on any pain medicine.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Yes,The VA can do a drug screen anytime they want to if you in the Pain Clinic. :blink::lol::rolleyes:

DAV IU 100%