Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Stressors

Rate this question

Fosk

Question

I have recentley found out that I am suffering from ptsd without knowing it. I took the ptsd intake test and the correlation turned out that I had stressors from that test. I recalled a motorcycle accident that had happened where I held my friend who died,who was in service with myself on the day before he was due to get out on a hardship to aid his mother who was dying from cancer. I also had my ex fiance committ suicide last year (over me) which has been the most tramatic, as well as my fathers death in the last 10 years. An assault by a civilian while on duty in which the man broke my nose (deviated septum) with brass knuckle who was high on cocaine after his arrest. Now my son has purchased a motorcycle and it is making my nerves stand on end. I also took the pain clinic test (650 questions)and the psyc doctor told me my ptsd and paranoya are off the charts. Anyhow.... I have had my son write a letter and my new fiance write a letter as to my carecter and my medical problems which include vascular cluster migraines, dysthemia, paranoya, degenerative disk disease, coronary heart disese and the new ptsd. My question is that I had recentley received an increase to 50% but, the depression was turned down, do I ask for a CUE and give them the new information or claim ptsd with all of my letter I have as well as the ddform 1300 on my friend who died in the motorcycle accident and is that enough? I also don't pretend that I can not bare the fact that my ptsd is is anywhere near that of a combat soldiers so should I even put in for an increase or is it blasfamous to disrespect those who have served in combat? They will always have my respect !

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Pete and Berta have given you good advice.

As far as feeling disrespectful to combat soldiers by filing for PTSD, You shouldn't. I suspect I saw as much combat as anyone on this board and I feel absolutely no ill will toward those who have acquired PTSD in a different way. There are a few ladies on here who have PTSD from sexual assaults and I think that may be worse off than those with combat-related PTSD. PTSD does not discriminate. It is bad for anyone who has it.

I never knew I had ptsd until december of last year when I took the written test then the next test that had the 650 questions, I just thought I was an angry depressed individual because nobody took the time to give me any testing, and I never knew to ask. I was always diagnosed as having chronic depression caused by the migraines but, come to find out my anger etc... was caused by the ptsd so the va thinktank thinks. I have no clue myself, I am on more medications since I quit smoking and drinking than I can shake a stick at....lol. But, I did have depression as a secondary to migraines and it was denied even though they (ro) overlooked my treatment in the mental health department while in service. So I just may have to give an NOD and the ptsd as a new claim. ummmmmm maybe?

I also now have a claim with social security and that has taken a while.... I was turned down the first time with them as well. I just don't get how they overlook so much evidence, but, this time I condensed it highlighted everything important to my case and file numbered the top of every page. Even though I didn't join until yesterday I have been reading your website for months.... and it is the best website for veterans claims I have ever read. I have even passed your website on to veterans in my pct groups as well. From what I read the elders are awsome as well as everyone who has joined this site.

"it was denied even though they (ro) overlooked my treatment in the mental health department while in service. So I just may have to give an NOD and the ptsd as a new claim. ummmmmm maybe?"

You could file a Request for Reconsideration if they overlooked this important information-

and then file claim for PTSD too-

someone here was recently very successful in filing a Reconsideration request-it can cut through some of the BS.

The VA certainly had to consider the inservice medical records of Mental Health issues you had.

It seems that you have been diagnosed with both PTSD and depression-

how did the VA word the denial of the depression claim?

"non the less the only witness was my ex-wife, maybe she can write the letter?"

That is a good thought to keep in mind-

In my opinion since this happened in service and being in the same unit-maybe the VA would not even need any further proof of this event.

You certainly could not have obtained a DD 1300 without having detailed info on the service man who died.

Do you have copies of your SMRs?

and any documentation of the inservice mental health problem?

Was that due to this accident?

BTW-YES you certainly have every right in the world to file a claim for PTSD.And certainly the right to expect service connected compensation for anything whatsoever that disabled you by virtue of your service.

One of my husbands stressors was witnessing the death (and then recovering the body )of his closest buddy in Vietnam.

His major stressors mainly had very little to do with the direct combat he was in.To lose a friend is a critical life experience.

That is absolutely no different than what you went through.Survivor guilt and anger go hand in hand with PTSD.There is always the thought- why was it him and not me-you suffered many stressful situations in your life and certainly this one, in your military service,was one of them.

Do you have anything in your SMRs that could be linked to any of the other conditions you have?

Could your depression be caused by the PTSD? Did the VA shrink say anything like that?

Edited by Berta