Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alj Hearing

Rate this question

Lynda

Question

I may have to attend an ALJ Hearing in the near future (I have been turned down twice for SSDI), and I am using Allsup's services. I am service-connected 70%/30%IU P & T for PTSD. I have a Master's Degree & 2 BA degrees. I mention this because those facts were used in the past to deny my SSDI claim. SSA said that although I couldn't do the type of work I did several years ago, I could do 'less complicated' work... The last job that I was fired from required an HS degree, and paid $10 an hour, and I couldn't keep that one either. My problems are an inability to focus and/or concentrate, follow directions, and I also had absenntee problems as well. I am 54 years old. I was fired from my last job in December of 2006, and haven't worked since. Prior to that I held temp jobs for three years, and was fired from a few of those before finding the final job I had - I held it for about it a year and was nearly fired several times for the mistakes that I made. I have applied several times at fast food outlets, grocery stores, etc, when I didn't have a temp job and was never even interviewed for jobs.

Anyway... I'm not sure what questions the judge would ask during a hearing... I don't "look" disabled, but unfortunately, my past emplyment experience is that I fail to catch mistakes in my work that my supervisors grow tired of correcting, and that just a few minutes after receiving a list of instructions or projects, I get confused about the order of procedures, the priority to give each task, or any detailed instructions on how to complete a task. I would go back to ask for clarification, and soon, my bosses thought I shouldn't be having to ask, so I was let go... very frustrating, and I think hard to describe. Any suggestions?

Right now, the state is determining whether the judge can look at my file alone and make a decision or if I will have to appear in court. I'm pretty stressed over this... Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Lynda

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Lynda:

No need to stress you have Lawyers doing what needs to be done. By the way the very same Lawyers would not have taken your case if they did not think that they would win it.

You have done everything that you could do. If you have to go to a Hearing than so be it. From the people I have talked to other than being at a Hearing the Lawyers handled everything and the Judge asked a couple of routine questions.

Good Luck

Lynda,

I did not have to appear at my SSD ALJ Hearing, my attorney took care of everything.

carlie

I may have to attend an ALJ Hearing in the near future (I have been turned down twice for SSDI), and I am using Allsup's services. I am service-connected 70%/30%IU P & T for PTSD. I have a Master's Degree & 2 BA degrees. I mention this because those facts were used in the past to deny my SSDI claim. SSA said that although I couldn't do the type of work I did several years ago, I could do 'less complicated' work... The last job that I was fired from required an HS degree, and paid $10 an hour, and I couldn't keep that one either. My problems are an inability to focus and/or concentrate, follow directions, and I also had absenntee problems as well. I am 54 years old. I was fired from my last job in December of 2006, and haven't worked since. Prior to that I held temp jobs for three years, and was fired from a few of those before finding the final job I had - I held it for about it a year and was nearly fired several times for the mistakes that I made. I have applied several times at fast food outlets, grocery stores, etc, when I didn't have a temp job and was never even interviewed for jobs.

Anyway... I'm not sure what questions the judge would ask during a hearing... I don't "look" disabled, but unfortunately, my past emplyment experience is that I fail to catch mistakes in my work that my supervisors grow tired of correcting, and that just a few minutes after receiving a list of instructions or projects, I get confused about the order of procedures, the priority to give each task, or any detailed instructions on how to complete a task. I would go back to ask for clarification, and soon, my bosses thought I shouldn't be having to ask, so I was let go... very frustrating, and I think hard to describe. Any suggestions?

Right now, the state is determining whether the judge can look at my file alone and make a decision or if I will have to appear in court. I'm pretty stressed over this... Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Lynda

Guest Dataman

Lynda;

1. Do not depend on Judge not having your there. Your Lawyer should let you know. Plan on being there! Dress nice, but not too nice. Just everyday clothes.

2. Normally it's:

You

Lawyer

Judge

Clerk

Voc Rehab Person

Judget will ask standard stuff. Where you live and so on. On my hearing the Voc Rehab person was No Show (Snowstorm and they got in accident). We waiting 30 min to start and he said he would do both parts. Judge or Voc Rehab can ask if you could do such and such job. Tell it like it is. Of course you saying "yes I can do that" won't do.

I had XRays to show, Drug Side Affect printouts and up to date medical records to give to them.

Make sure you are prepared. Bring it if you think it will help. You can always take it home again.

This Judge will most likely not say YES or NO that day. My Hearing was March 21 and he did says he would approve in hearing. Got letter 31 May saying approved. Paid 3 July. So it's slow process. It can take lots longer.

I make sure I reviewed my file at SSA Office. Anything not right well you have the chance to correct.

Do not rely on the Lawyer to do it all. I had to have SSA Dr Eval (VA Was worthless). I made sure I got a copy.

I would say you have good chance to Win. But your Education Level is the key. Be ready to say the reason why you cannot work. I have a VERY small understand of PTSD (Accident in Military Vehicle screwed me up) and still to this day not happy driving on Interstate. You and your Lawyer have the job of making sure the Judge understands you cannot work ANY JOB.

Now go WIN!

Thanks, Dataman. You've given me some concrete things that I can consider, like medication side effects, and all of the symptoms that I have because of PTSD, which have affected my job performance in the past and may continue to affect it. I will bring in copies of my therapist's reports (which should be in the evidence folder) just in case... Thanks again. Very much!

Lynda

Guest Dataman

Any Doubt Bring it! Bring somone who can think straight too. U will be nervous I bet and not your best. U will WIN. I hope the Judge has the guts to make a call that day, but doubt it.