Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mst/ptsd

Rate this question

ruby

Question

I can't find my old post so I am starting a new one.

I have had 3 psy visits now, based on what I have told them they all agree I have mst/ptsd. Plus I showed one of them my stressor letter from a superior I reported the incident to. I am going to fill out the paperwork to file a claim. Can anyone direct me on what to file with the claim or how to word it. I am not using a VSO.

I am not sure I will file it right now, but should I decide to really pursue this I would like for it to be prepared and ready to go.

Does anyone have symbolic dreams or hyponotic (sp) dreams ( state prior to falling asleep) they are willing to share how they feel by pm.

What I am trying to say the dream or feeling (panic) occurs prior to falling asleep its symbolic and not the actual traumatic event.

I think I am more screwed up then I thought I was. I have this hyponotic dream that I have never told anyone for the past 30 years untl recently I told the psy docs about. While it was a relief to tell someone, I don't want this in my records, too late now, so I am more confused on what to do. There is more to it, that I haven't told anyone. I don't think I ever will.

I am looking to see if anyone else has this problem and the other thing also.

Ruby

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

If this is your first VA claim you need to file out the cmplete 21-526 application available at the VA web site under Comp, Forms-

I sure feel you should get the help of a good VSO or rep.

Tell the VA what you have been diagnosed with , and about the stressor and send them a copy of the letter you mentioned along with your formal claim.

If the stressor letter conforms in any way what you experienced, and is specific in details, then perhaps the VA will need nothing further from you-they need to know the superir was in your unit same time and place etc and they need contact info for the stressor letter writer.

The most inportant thing for MST and/or PTSD claims is the proven stressor. Sounds like you might have what you need.

But were there any follow up medical reports,or any other reports whatsoever?Anything at all in your SMRs or service personnel records?

The earliest effective date for claims is 99% of the time the date that VA received the claim so it doesnt pay to wait on filing a claim.

The backlog will continue to grow and that means many claims will be in the system for years before a resolve.

If the VA doctors have said this diagnosis is more than likely due to your inservice stressor, then with some prove of the stressor - in my opinion- you should file the claim-

yesterday! but certainly seek a service officers help if you can.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks for the reply's. This is not my first claim that I have filed, the 2 VSO's I used were useless. I can do better on my own one of them has screwed my current claim up.

The symbolic dream is what is more terrifying then the actual stressor.

In my claim I just say I want to file for mst see attached letter. The letter states I reported to my ncoic what occurred, he directed me to speak with the OIC, which he knows I did as he was approached by the OIC about this incident. There was enormous tense in the unit due to this. The NCOIC was discharged and that's when things got ugly and went down hill.

Thanks Carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Cindy

You think you are spilling your guts to someone who is trying to help you when, in fact, anything you say can and will be used to deny your claim. How many vets actually know this. Most are probably trusting enough to believe the system is there to help them. I trusted a Army psychiatrist and he did everything he could to get me thrown out as a personality disorder. H never documented any of the dissociative disorder symptoms I was having which were severe. He just said PD and discharge him right away.

I feel strongly based on personnal experiance that it is far wiser to go to a private counclor and if your therapist feels that you have PTSD to have them refer you to a State certified Pyscologist to be tested (which would include the Minnasota personality test amoung other's) to see whether or not you have PTSD. It is very important to bring a copy of the evaluation tool that the VA uses to determine if you have PTSD. Most State Certified Pyscologist will write you a IMO using the VA guildlines. If after the testing and it is confirmed that you do have PTSD due to an inservice stessor be it combat or MST, or other life threating situlations...the Pyscologist can determine in his/her opionion whether or not your PTSD occured due to the trauma in service (inservice is the key word here) at the same time s/he can preclude any MH issue was present prior to service.

After you have your medical documentation is when I would file a claim with the VA...it is harder for the VA to discard and IMO from a state cert. pyscologist esp. if the said pyscologist also makes determination's for Social sercurity.

this is just my opionion.

MT

I feel strongly based on personnal experiance that it is far wiser to go to a private counclor and if your therapist feels that you have PTSD to have them refer you to a State certified Pyscologist to be tested (which would include the Minnasota personality test amoung other's) to see whether or not you have PTSD. It is very important to bring a copy of the evaluation tool that the VA uses to determine if you have PTSD. Most State Certified Pyscologist will write you a IMO using the VA guildlines. If after the testing and it is confirmed that you do have PTSD due to an inservice stessor be it combat or MST, or other life threating situlations...the Pyscologist can determine in his/her opionion whether or not your PTSD occured due to the trauma in service (inservice is the key word here) at the same time s/he can preclude any MH issue was present prior to service.

After you have your medical documentation is when I would file a claim with the VA...it is harder for the VA to discard and IMO from a state cert. pyscologist esp. if the said pyscologist also makes determination's for Social sercurity.

this is just my opionion.

MT

Where do you get the evaluation tool from? Does it have to be a state certified couselor and who pays for it? Where do you get the minnesota personality test from. I hate those things.

here is the link to PTSD worksheet

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm37.htm

here is a link to "Index to Disability Examination Worksheets "

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm#bm03

you wrote: "Does it have to be a state certified couselor and who pays for it?"

well I would think that any psycologist should be state certified...and you will need to pay for it unfortunally...most dr. will charge around $250.00 and up.

if the psycologist is doing the evaluation correctley he would need to have some type of personality test done.

hope this helps

MT