• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

mAs = mili-amps

kVp = kilivolt peak

They have to do with the settings of the x-ray machine, and not your spine. You do know that a x-ray of the spine is worthless for all intents and purposes. To get a "true" picture of what is happening in your spine, you need to have an MRI done. Go back to your PCP and demand that they give you an MRI. This way, you'll have top notch information to base your claim on.

• HadIt.com Elder

In other words Mas is the amount of radiation and the KVP is the penetration thru the body.

It depends on your body habitus, The bigger a person is the more radiation it takes to penetrate the body.

In other words Mas is the amount of radiation and the KVP is the penetration thru the body.

It depends on your body habitus, The bigger a person is the more radiation it takes to penetrate the body.

I had a feeling I was going to ask a dumb question.

The results of the MRI showed scoliosis, spinal arthritis, a benign tumor on a vertrbre or two, something called hypertrophy, two or mild bulging discs. The physical therapist said my left leg is weaker than my right because of my back/spine. He asked me if I had filed a claim. I told him I hadn't. He didn't say anything.

They are treating my asthma. No COPD. My private doctor won't say if the asthma is due to my my reflux.

My claim was left the rating board Friday a week ago. Should know something soon. Thank you all for your help. Please forgive me not keeping you posted. I had to get a new Internet provider.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd agree.

I have four ruptured disks that did not show up on Xrays. They do on an MRI. Years ago, before MRI's, the only way to find out what was going on was a "Milogram". (They inject dye into the spinal cord) It's a dangerous test, and over the years doctors told me that I should not have it done until spinal related pain was continuous, or that it reached a level of pain that was debilitating. Unfortunately, this does nothing to help my VA claim.

mAs = mili-amps

kVp = kilivolt peak

They have to do with the settings of the x-ray machine, and not your spine. You do know that a x-ray of the spine is worthless for all intents and purposes. To get a "true" picture of what is happening in your spine, you need to have an MRI done. Go back to your PCP and demand that they give you an MRI. This way, you'll have top notch information to base your claim on.

• HadIt.com Elder
I would suggest getting a "StandUp MRI". It is a relatively new type of MRI which allows you put pressure on a particular joint or vertabrae and have the MRI show the condition as it is during normal activity. This type of MRI is available nationwide but not everywhere. If you post your city, I will ask a friend who is part owner of several of these machines if he knows of one close to you.

The images are truly spectacular!

They also have a "sit-up" MRI, where you are in a seated postion while scanned. I did it this way, and it is much more comfortable than a standard MRI. It also takes better pictures of the spine, because the spine is under pressure both while standing and seated.

I just had a complete MRI(3 views) 1wk ago the VA pays for what it pays for(fee basis) you cant where i live ask for a standing MRI unless DR approves and is available/ordered ..They now do MRI with Magnesium injection and no dye ..is it safer? they say so...I never liked that hot flush! Regards william n

Edited by williamn