Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buddy Letters

Rate this question

rattattat

Question

Has anyone had this statement about their buddy letter included in their SOC?

" The statement from Axxxx Bxxxxxx is deemed unsubstantiated, providing no information or evidence to confirm his service with you in the Navy"

The buddy stated time, date, place of service,accident, symptoms after accident. He stated his job in the Navy and his association with Dave in the Navy. He stated that he has often visited Dave and has known him and about the neck problems that Dave has had continously for 45 years. He gave them his phone number and address.

All they had to do was call and request information to comfirm his service with Dave. I have not seen anything about a buddy letter requiring evidence sent in with the letter that they actually were together during service.

There would be no problem getting such evidence, but they never asked.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the rejection of your buddy letter is improper. Did you go to a notary? I think the VA is just trying to dismiss your letter in hopes you won't pursue it.

• HadIt.com Elder
Has anyone had this statement about their buddy letter included in their SOC?

" The statement from Axxxx Bxxxxxx is deemed unsubstantiated, providing no information or evidence to confirm his service with you in the Navy"

The buddy stated time, date, place of service,accident, symptoms after accident. He stated his job in the Navy and his association with Dave in the Navy. He stated that he has often visited Dave and has known him and about the neck problems that Dave has had continously for 45 years. He gave them his phone number and address.

All they had to do was call and request information to comfirm his service with Dave. I have not seen anything about a buddy letter requiring evidence sent in with the letter that they actually were together during service.

There would be no problem getting such evidence, but they never asked.

I know that the R.O didn't place any weight

or give any credit to the Nurse in service with me.

She even provided her Service Number.

I noticed when my claim went to the BVA Judge she was given a great

deal of weight.

I figure the R.O was too lazy to click into her service number to see

that she was with me from boot camp, corps school. D. C and to the

day of my early discharge.

I figure the BVA checked out her service records.

Betty

Edited by Josephine

Hello Rattatatt,

Your inquiry to buddy statements is very important. Is this an initial claim or an appeal? I do not know what your claim includes but from what you have quoted the VA of sending you it appears that you have not included your buddy's copy of his/her DD214 and documents such as a military letter of duty assignment substaniating their being stationed with you. The statement also needs to have your case number , usually at the top right hand corner and at the bottom of their statement , "I hearby certify that the information I have given is to the best of my knowledge and belief". There is no need to have it notarized but it is not necessary. The VA has pretty much stated why they denied the buddy statement. The problem is the VA almost always denies everything including the buddy letters or statements from friends or family. However , eventually the case will end up with someone who can read or even better , before a judge and then the law will come into play and the buddy statement becomes a big bomb. I also have buddy statements and very specific but also have been denied so don't feel bad. I would also add their complete address and phone number to your buddy statement. Making sure the statement is bullet proof and being precise to the exact location, times, places, job responsibilities, what they observed, will give the VA little wiggle room once it reaches the "right decision makers". My case is huge , very complex, and large amounts of documentation, medical test, and the extremly important Independent Medical Opinions as well as opinions from the VA doctors. Still the VA only wants to deny and not let me prevail because of the flood of other claims that will be affected by a positive decision. Try and stay focused , don't let them discourage your next move, and NEVER GIVE UP. Your buddy statement is like a canister of VX gas going off.....the VA cannot hold their breath forever and is going to have to breath it sooner or later......... and your buddy statement could decide your battle. God Bless, C.C.

A buddy statement has to be detailed as to how the buddy's MOS or inservice duty at time of the stressor , accident, or event you are proving-caused them to be an eye witness.

You can certainly fight this with his additional buddy statement clarifying how he was at the scene-due to his MOS when you had in service accident.

"have not seen anything about a buddy letter requiring evidence sent in with the letter that they actually were together during service."

If the buddy statement is to confirm an event- they have to give an eye witness account.

A few years ago I helped a vet from another site get a buddy statement for PTSD- the vet he found and contacted not only described the same stressor at length-and in detail-he also sent the VA proof of his MOS and unit (the same as the vet I helped-meaning same unit, same time in service, and at same place in Vietnam) and also gave VA his C file number and told the VA he gets comp for PTSD due to the exact same stressor.He gave his Phone number, address and email addy- the VA sometimes calls th buddy but they didnt call him and the vet I helped got his award.

The vet also contacted other vets in the unit and found others who were there during this stressor-2 had claims in progress for PTSD and they all could help each other with letters that confirmed this stressor had occurred.

If a buddy statement comes from say someone who was Army enginneer building a bridge in Hue-in 1969- they can't be an eye witness if your stressor was an event in Danang.

An Eye witness account is what the buddy letter should reveal from a vet who can prove by time in service and their MOS that they were there , then.

They didn't comment on my 'buddy letters' one way or another except to list them in the table of evidence.