VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security, Age 67, 100% P&t

Rate this question

Stephen Hull

Question

I am age 67, been recieving SS since age 65, never had SS Disability. Since turning 65 I have been rated 100% P&T PTSD with Chap 35 for Dependents, etc. I have been turned down as not suitable for Voc Rehab and am now going into the ILP program.

Is there anything I need to do with the Social Security Admin about my VA status? My concern is that some of my SS can be taxable.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your VA compensation won't count towards taxing your SSA. If you have other passive income it could count towards taxing you SSA. I have SSD and some of my passive income does count against me. I was taxed last year on a small part of my SSD since I have investment income. I am working on that to get the money out of taxable accounts if I can. My tax rebate just about covers what I actually paid in taxes. I got a settlement from a lawsuit and it was taxable. The suit was for my former employer's discrimination. To add insult to injury I was taxed on the backpay and interest. I am glad you got your 100% from the VA. I would continue to go to the VA for treatment and document it. P&T is not really P&T. If you have a private shrink I would continue to see him/her and document your PTSD symptoms. Never mention any fact to the VA that you feel better or that you are doing better. Anything you do to help yourself will be seen as an improvement. Never miss a chance to tell them how bad you feel. They don't care that you are 67 and probably could not find a job anyway. Make sure you accept the meds they give you even if you don't take them. This sounds like I am joking but I am not.

• HadIt.com Elder

Stephen welcome to Hadit. Like John said VA Money is not taxable so until your Social Security and other income do not add up to the minimum than no taxes. And the Social Security plus income is computed on a lower schedule or basically a half tax so for most here it does not come into play.

I have looked at mine pretty well and can see that with COLA's I may eventually have to pay taxes but I am not going to worry about that cause I have plenty of other things I worry about.

Thanks Guys,

You nailed it right one the head. I do have lots of other things to worry about and this was on my list. No more. I really appreciate your responses. Long time ago, old forum, I was a member. I have a real tendency to disappear. Hadit is a very good site. All my claims stuff sort of overwhelmed me.

I live near San Francisco and have, so far, received very good care, VA, Vet Center and Mental Health, County Service Officer who just retired, even the Regional Office. The process has been long and finally the VA set me 100%, P&T. They had me at 50% and I thought I was stuck there. Speaks to the reality with the VA, never give up. Right now I have scheduled appointments/ interviews for ILP and in house PTSD at Menlo Park. In fact, when I first went to ILP, I thought, the Regional Office had me still showing 50% and were pushing for VOC Rehab. When that was corrected, right to ILP. Obviously at 100% a job with the public wouldn't work.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions

Stephen